French side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.72740°N / 0.14340°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble+rock
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the main page

Route Description


Slope: 1044 meters. Total time: 7 hours.

In the parking of the Cirque de Troumousse we walk across the fence following the sign that indicates "Lagos de Aires". We leave in the left side the path for the hut of Vierge and we follow the wide path. The path go to the right near the walls of mountains in an slope in zig-zag across a lot of stones following the cairns. We reach the bottom of the channel where it's in the habit of remaining the snow (crampons and ice-axe in the early of season). The channel is wide with many free stones (If there are people climbing ahead ours it is necessary to have a lot of care with the stones that can fall down). Thje exit of the channel is a wall of 10 meters of grade II not exposed (It possesses an anchorage to tie the rope since the wall is very smooth and can be slippery). The slope is minor and it is easier to reach the Col of La Munia (2853m, common point of the itineraries French and Spanish). The path is a little complicated with climbs of grade I or II- in the ridge of rock to the famous "Paso del Gato" (step-crossing of the cat). This point it's a great piece of smooth rock with three "claws" that cross it in vertically for 3 meters (grade II). The exit of the step-crossing it's a chimney of grade I (10 meters, total 14 meters of climb). Following and bordering the ridge for the right side we reach the final cone with bad rock to the summit (3134 meters, 3h30minutes).

You can follow a little more to the easies summits of Pequeña Munia ("Little Munia", 3096m) and Sierra Morena (3090m).
The descent is for the same route. If you want to follow from Sierra Morena you must make a rappel of 30 meters. (I'll write this other route soon).

Essential Gear


In winter and early in the season are neccessary the crampons and ice-axe to reach the channel of access to col de La Munia.
In the exit of the channel (10 meters) and the Paso de gato (3-4meters) you can to use the rope for inexpert people. The rope is advisable for the descent.
The helmet is advisable with many people in the channel.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

La MuniaRoutes