Yellow Pine Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.67680°N / 111.144°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The trailhead is at a large signed parking lot that is located on the north side of Highway 150 6.5 miles east of Kamas. This trailhead is accessible year-round.

Along the trail to Castle...Yellow Pine Creek.

Route Description

From the trailhead, the trail first heads east across a stream before reaching Yellow Pine Creek after half a mile. The trail climbs slowly at first and then steepens at its northern end. All stream crossings are bridged on the lower section of the trail.

After about three miles from the trailhead a spur trail heads northwest to Yellow Pine Lakes. The spur trail is used more than the main trail. Turn right here. The trail can be hard to follow and is steep in places. In another 1.5 miles from the junction, the saddle between Yellow Pine Creek and Box Canyon is reached.

The summit of Duke Mountain is reached by heading along the ridge west for about a mile to the summit. There is some very minor scrambling. Enjoy the fine views of the Wasatch Range and Western Uintas from the summit.

The total round-trip distance is 11 miles with 3500 feet elevation gain.

Yellowpine Lake is on the...Yellow Pine Lakes.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.