East Face (Regular Route)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.81980°N / 111.7926°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical sandstone
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: III 5.9+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

A 15-minute walk from the parking area leads to the base of the climb. The tower is obvious from the parking area. The route is obvious from the base. Bring the topo.

Route Description

See topo. Rumor has it that the step=across is getting harder due to sandstone wear.

Descent from the summit can be made is one of two ways: either rappel off the register, or do the awesome leap across the chasm from the summit to the top of the next lower formation. From there, several double-rope rappels reach the ground at the back of the tower.

The Mace is about 450 feet tall, so expect several rappels to descend. Anchors on the rap route are fixed.

Essential Gear

See Topo.

Cams from small to 4 inches, plus a #3 Big Bro.

Some long slings are helpful in reducing rope drag on several of the pitches.

Two 50m ropes are adequate for the rappels.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The MaceRoutes