Sandwich Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.90100°N / 71.4984°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble on one pitch
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1-2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Picture from the top of...


VIA SANDWICH MOUNTAIN AND DRAKES BROOK TRAILHEAD: From I-93 get off onto Route 49 toward Waterville Valley. Stay on Route 49 past the town of Campton and up through the gap between Sandwich Mountain and Welch and Dickey Mountain. Continue up the road eleven miles to the trailhead which is on the right, just before the town of Waterville Valley.


Route Description

View along the way up...


USE CAUTION ON THE STREAM CROSSING ESPECIALLY DURING HIGH WATER.

Sandwich Mountain Trail
Elevation Gain 2,680'
3.8miles one way
Class 1-2


The Sandwich Mountain is the most popular of all the routes up to the top of Sandwich Mountain. The Class 1-2 trail begins at the Drakes Brook Trailhead. It decends at a gradual through a field with a power grid on the right before turning into the woods and descending towards Drakes Brook. Once across Drakes Brook the trail starts to ascend Noon Peak moderately. The trail becomes steeper and steeper, until it hits a Class 2 section where it becomes a scramble or poor footing on tree roots. (Note in 2001 this section was not as eroded and had better footing. It since has eroded). The route moderates and continues it climb to Noon Peak. As it become close to the summit of Noon Peak views start to open up Toward Sandwich Mountain and Jennings Peak. The trail then alternate between moderate and gradual grade and has one more small scramble until it reaches the summit of Noon Peak (1.7 miles).

From the top of Noon Peak, the stay most gradual to moderate until it runs into the Drakes Brook Trail at 2.7 mile and at 2.8 mile it runs into the Jennings Peak spur path. The trail then levels out and climbs little until the Smarts Brook Trail.

After the Smarts Brook Trailhead the trail then turns back into a moderate grade and ascends Sandwich Mountain. This is slippery in summer due to small loose rocks and roots. so use caution. It will run into the Algonquin Trail 90 yards before the summit. Once on the summit enjoy the views.

Essential Gear

In summer just essential hiking gear and lots of water. In winter though crampons and trekking poles are a defnite must. An ice axe isn't nessecary but can come to good use if the trail ices over.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.