Sierra Blanca Comments

dsnellUntitled Comment

dsnell

Great page, Scott. Keep it up!
Posted Aug 23, 2003 10:51 pm

Steven CrossUntitled Comment

Steven Cross

I somehow missed this one. Nice page!. This one looks increadible!
Posted Nov 1, 2003 12:14 pm

RockopotamusUntitled Comment

Rockopotamus

Great web site...this mountain was basically in my back yard. But It's been almost two decades since I've been back.
Posted Feb 12, 2004 2:16 pm

bahia0019Here I come

bahia0019

Heading there tomorrow. Be on summit if there isn't too much snow Saturday late morning.
It'll be my first real peak, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for all the great info.
Posted Dec 19, 2008 12:21 am

bahia0019Here I come

bahia0019

It'll be my first real peak, so I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for all the great info.
Posted Dec 19, 2008 12:28 am

Alex Wood12K?

Alex Wood

I have seen alot of sources showing Sierra Blanca at 12,005ft, is that true or is there a discrepency with the true elevation?
Posted Aug 21, 2009 12:33 pm

surgentRe: 12K?

surgent

The Rand-McNally atlases have Sierra Blanca at 12,003 ft. They have a lot of other elevations off a bit too. I have no idea where they get their info from. The topo maps do not support this figure though, and I think the consensus is for the current 11,9xx figure.
Posted Aug 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Clark_GriswoldRe: 12K?

Clark_Griswold

I noticed that a 2007 issued AAA map has Sierra Blanca Peak at the correct 11,973', but a "Sierra Blanca", as a separate mountain near Alto, at 12,003'.
Posted Jan 14, 2011 2:34 pm

hans.schenkRe: 12K?

hans.schenk

According to Mike Butterfield's Guide to the Mountains of New Mexico by Peter Greene, in the early 70s the altitude was officially 12,003 ft. However, when the USGS took new measurements (in the 90's or 2000s?) the altitude was lowered 30 feet to 11,973. Hence there are probably some maps with the old elevation, and some with the new.
Posted Jun 4, 2012 10:26 pm

Clark_GriswoldRe: 12K?

Clark_Griswold

That USGS data sheet has Sierra Blanca listed at 12,003' at the top next to "Designation", and near the bottom it says the station mark on the summit is marked, "12,003'". Confusingly, under current control level, it states the elevation as 11,982', which is a new one to me. However, it appears that the current accurate elevation may be this new 11,982' height. I wonder what the elevation really is? It would still be nice if it was over 12,000', but 11,973, or 11,982 are still pretty good for anywhere in New Mexico (or Arizona) south of I-40.
Posted Sep 29, 2012 9:20 pm