Signal Peak Comments

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Nice page! Have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Feb 5, 2005 6:55 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Good page, good history and links.
Posted Feb 5, 2005 11:24 pm

Eric LUntitled Comment

Eric L

Good job I'm glad that someone made a page because this is a fun quick climb
Posted Feb 6, 2005 12:58 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Nicely done page.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 3:50 pm

JonodoUntitled Comment

Jonodo

Thanks for the page vote!
Posted Feb 12, 2005 12:10 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good page! I'm not sure I like the radio towers, though.
Posted Feb 6, 2005 4:41 pm

RobUntitled Comment

Rob

Well done!
Posted Feb 7, 2005 9:46 am

JonodoUntitled Comment

Jonodo

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Feb 12, 2005 12:08 am

JonodoUntitled Comment

Jonodo

Thanks for the page vote!
Posted Feb 12, 2005 12:07 am

davis13Info

davis13

Thanx for putting the page up. It was very useful. The complete Tahoe Ogul list is almost up on SP. Perhaps I'll actually do a page myself and finish the last few (Wade and Black Buttes I think). Anyway on my recent trip the what used to be the snopark was coned off and was being run by the Campground. Still 10$ to park. To use the snow park you had to park on the south side of I-80. I talked to the rangers at Big Bend and they said if the snow was clear I could park at the old stone houses about 1/8 mile west of the trailhead for free. I did and there were no problems (wouldn't overnight though. Just thought I'd pass it on.
Posted Feb 15, 2006 11:42 pm

JonodoRe: Info

Jonodo

Thanks for the info. I'll incorporate it into the page.
Posted Feb 28, 2006 5:44 am

lonehikerTrail head info

lonehiker

Very nice page. Sorry for the long comment that follows but for those like me who are not blessed with a good sense of direction this should be helpful.

On Saturday 11/8/2008 when I followed the SP directions and my Garmin Street GPS to Fordyce Lake Road I ended up inside the Cisco Grove Campground. Fordyce Road from inside the campground is blocked. After confirming there was no access to the trail, I drove back out past the "guard shack" at the entry to the campground, saw and and turned left on NF-85 which is signed to Woodchuck Flat, etc. (my Garmin Street GPS with 2009 update indicated this is Magonigal Road) I still had a little trouble locating the trail head as it is not easy to identify. You should consider modifying the directions to read: After exiting 80 EB at Cisco Grove turn left at the end of the ramp and cross over the freeway. Go a short distance beyond the 80 WB ramp to Hampshire Rocks Road and turn left. Go about .5 miles and just before the "guard shack" at Cisco Grove Campground, find the road signed Forest Service Road (NF-85), with a sign to Woodchuck Flat. After you reach the end of the hard top travel approximately 1.2 miles. Look for a large rock on the left across from a pullout where you can park. I will post the coordinates of the trail head tomorrow.
Posted Nov 10, 2008 2:28 pm

JohnBRed Mountain trivia

During the 1960's we would spend some of the summers at the 4H compound at Woodchuck flat. We often climbed Red Mountain from there going straight up the mountain. On the top of the mountain was an old mining cabin, all that remained was three walls with no roof. We have a picture of it in our family photo album. Being kids one of the fun things to do was looking for the square nails used to build it and other stuff left behind. Today the cabin is gone, I think when they cut the road to put the radio towers in began the final demise of the cabin. About 15 years ago I wanted to show my daughter the cabin and was surprised that all that was left was two corner logs laying on the ground. Though the road goes within a few yards of the cabin site one would be hard pressed to locate it. There are many mining sites visible on the mountain, yes, they did have a cabin!
I hope I didn't bore anyone to death with this, but reading this page brought back some memories and I wanted to share what little history I know of Red Mountain.
Posted Aug 15, 2014 9:26 am