Vid PogachnikJust Great!

Vid Pogachnik

The famous Silvretta was badly missing! Thanks for doing such a great job, Gangolf!
Posted Apr 19, 2006 4:11 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Just Great!

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Vid,

I hesitated quite a while to submit this group since I thought some of you must be better equipped to write about it than I am. But then I found the print command in www.swissgeo.org and could get me A4-versions of the maps which decided it for me. But I guess that this is the last group page for the moment. I'm afraid I'll have to draw thousands of maps now :-(
Posted Apr 19, 2006 7:53 pm

Vid PogachnikRe: Just Great!

Vid Pogachnik

I don't understand you quite well - what did you find in www.swissgeo.org?
Posted Apr 19, 2006 9:29 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Just Great!

Gangolf Haub

Hmm - I don't know if you are aware of it - but they offer a link to print the map you have on display (to the top right of the map). Let's say you use the second largest zoom factor - which is something like 1:25000 I believe - you press the link and a pdf-file with an A4-map of the area is created. With Photoshop you can easily convert it into a jpg-file. I found that out while I was trying to get info on the Sesvenna Group.

But anyway, given the great accuracy of the maps and their quasi relief form you can easily distinguish the different groups, ridgelines, etc. which is what I needed to create the grouping structure and the summit listings. austrianmap.at is as accurate but they only have these tiny maps which you have to stitch together to get a better overview. I'm doing just that right now for the Wetterstein maps but it's a real pain if the subgroups are arge. Luckily Wetterstein is a rather small group but Karwendel will be worse :-(

Finally - one trick: swissgeo creates a session id for you which they store in a cookie. if you print a map this cookie (and ID is used to identify the pdf-file. If you try to print a second map - whatever you do you'll get the same pdf-result as with the first printout. Delete your swissgeo cookie (this will throw you back to their homepage at your next click). You get a new session id and the next pdf-file is printed for this id and can be retrieved.
Posted Apr 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Vid PogachnikRe: Just Great!

Vid Pogachnik

Wow, great research, Gangolf. Thanks for that info!
Cheers!
Vid
Posted Apr 20, 2006 6:09 pm

rpcThat's one info-packed page!!

rpc

and very nicely done too Mr. Haub!

Posted Apr 20, 2006 12:12 am

Gangolf HaubRe: That's one info-packed page!!

Gangolf Haub

Thanks Radek! It's getting a bit of a routine now. This is my 39th group page and after all that time I thin I finally managed to find a way how to present them. The only drawback is that I still have to rework the old SPv1 pages and that's a hell of a job :-(
Posted Apr 20, 2006 4:52 am

Mathias ZehringWow

Mathias Zehring

The encyclopaedia is growing. Very fine reading! What I noticed is that the eastern border isn't correct. Fimber Pass is the border to Samnaun Group, so Piz Davo Lais is considered being a part of Silvretta.
"However, since the group is located in the zone of westerly winds and since there are no higher groups in the direct vicinity Piz Buin and Piz Linard take the full onblow of any oncoming weather, creating an unusual amount of snow and ice." I think this is not true for Piz Linard that is too much located in the south near the rather dry Engadin valley.
Posted Apr 20, 2006 5:18 am

Mathias ZehringRe: Wow

Mathias Zehring

Well I do own the AVF (10th edition 1986). There and in the "Alpenvereinseinteilung" Fimberpass is the border. Piz Davo Lais, Spi d'Ursanna, Piz Mottana, Piz Choglias and Spi da la Muranza are all mentioned in the Flaig guidebook "Silvretta". So there should be no doubt.
Thank you for placing my pictures so nicely! I hope I can deliver some more.
Posted Apr 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Gangolf HaubRe: Wow

Gangolf Haub

Ok, I'll change both groups so that the summits are in the correct surroundings - tomorrow though. And yes - I was counting on your participation concerning pictures :-)

What does the AVF say about the grouping structure of Silvretta? From the Satellite photo it was quite straightforward but I'm not sure if I should consider the main ridge summits in the west part of the Mittagspitze and Seehorn Groups or not. Anyway Seehorn is on the main ridge, so I would need a different name :o)
Posted Apr 20, 2006 9:40 pm

Mathias ZehringRe: Wow

Mathias Zehring

I will do some scans of the book tomorrow in my office (no scanner at home). Flaig distinguishes five main subgroups (Ost-, West-, Süd, Nord- und Mittel-Silvretta) and several sub-subgroups.
Posted Apr 20, 2006 10:21 pm

CharlesAs ever

Charles

just a great page!!! Thanks agaoin!

Charles