Singgalang Volcano

Singgalang Volcano

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Additional Information Elevation: 9438 ft / 2877 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Singgalang is a beautiful and scenic volcano, and unlike its neighbor, Marapi, it is old and extinct. Within the crater of the volcano is a beautiful lake known as Telago Dewi.

The volcano is one of the two peaks rising south of the city of Bukkinggi. The other volcano is Marapi Volcano.

Singgalang is climbed much less often than its sister peak, Mapapi Volcano, so the trails are rougher and harder to follow. A local guide may be useful in locating the trail.

Getting There


To reach Singgalang, first take a bus to Bikittinggi, which is easy to get to from any of Sumatra's major cities. From Bikittinggi, make your way to the bus terminal in the southeast part of the city. From there, locate a minibus headed for Kotabaru. Ask the driver to drop you off at "Kachil ik Singgalang" or "the trail to Singgalang" or "Kachi ik Pandai" or "the trail to a place called Pandai Sikek".

Route Description


From Kotabaru, there are several route possibilities for accessing the main trail heading up to the summit of Singgalang A local guide is certainly of great help. Check around in Kotabaru. From Kota Baru, take the trail/road SW to Pandai Sikat. From Pandai Sikat, take the trail (confusing) north through many fileds, farms, and homes before reaching a small villiage. From the villiage a trail heads west to another small villiage known as Pago Pago. From Pago Pago, a rough trail heads west up the ridge to the summit of Singgalang. The trail is challenging and little used, and you must duck and crawl under several low hanging trees (see photo). There is a beautiful lake known as Telago Dewi in the main crater of the volcano.

Red Tape


No permits are required.

When To Climb


Sumatra is wet year round, and there is little temperature varience throughout the year. Typically, February and March are the driest months, and September through December, the wettest, but be prepared for heavy rains at any time of year.

Camping


There are good campsites at Talago Dewi (lake). There are guesthouses in Kotabaru as well as other campsites on the mountain.

Mountain Conditions


Volcanic Updates

Eruption News

Credits


Much of this information is from my climbing partner, Mike Kelsey who wrote the highly recommended Climbers and Hikers Guide to the Worlds Mountains. Mike visited the area in August 1999.

SP member Zaleha was the original submitter and provided all the photos.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Volcanoes of IndonesiaMountains & Rocks