Sisyphean Peak - Point 8340

Sisyphean Peak - Point 8340

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.00817°N / 114.48493°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 8340 ft / 2542 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sisyphean Peak stands 8280ft high in one of the most remote sections of the Bitterroot Mountains along the Idaho/Montana border. It is just north of Peak 8409 and Dawning Peak. Sisyphean Peak has only had one recorded ascent by James Den Uyl. The real value in this peak is in its remoteness and its almost unparalleled view of solitude.

Getting There

The approach is the most difficult part of this climb. The nearest trailhead is at Lake Como Recreation Area, a solid two day or more hike away. The only known ascent of this peak has a description under https://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=1002738&confirm_post=12 where there is a detailed account of the approach.

Route

The route is pretty straightforward. From Lake Capitan follow the valley up while slowly circling towards the northwest. Follow the slope upward which will slowly steepen to approx. 65 degrees. As the name implies, it's a long monotonous steep snow climb, but the view and ridgeline are worth it. For a simple route this peak delivers some adrenaline. If you're climbing early season there will be patched of snow that are likely hollowed out from the warming rocks below. Use caution when walking on any snow on the ridge.

When to Climb

This peak is climbable all year, but for the easiest conditions I recommend mid to late summer when most of the snow is gone. As mentioned above the snow can get hallowed out from the bottom's warming rocks. The snow on the face was at an angle where an ice axe is advisable, crampons a plus. 

Camping

You have to love national forests. Free camping everywhere you can see and you're more likely to see a unicorn here than another person. 

External Links

Read an account of the first ascent of this trip here: https://wordpress.com/post/climbonexpeditions.wordpress.com/419