Skyline Sessions Trailhead

Skyline Sessions Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 40.93030°N / 111.79306°W
Additional Information County: Davis
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8114 ft / 2473 m

OVERVIEW

Skyline Sessions Area MapArea Map
TH Facing NortheastWildflowers next to Skyline Sessions Trailhead
The Sessions Mt Road/Skyline Junction Trailhead is an official US Forest Service Trailhead located along the Skyline Road along the Bountiful Peak Ridgeline in the Wasatch National Forest. It serves as a launch point for three area Summits (Bountiful Peak, Centerville Peak, and Sessions Peak).

The trailhead is unique as it gets you high on the mountain (8,114 feet) to start your expeditions as opposed to humping your way up 4,000 feet vertical climb. Because it’s easily accessible from Bountiful, the area gets a great deal of use. The trailhead is well maintained and patrolled by USFS personnel.

From the trailhead, heading north over the ridgeline traverse will get you to Centerville (Peak 8,904) and Bountiful Peak (9,259). This is an especially pretty hike and literally every step is a grand view of the Salt Lake Basin and Wasatch Forest. Similarly, the hike to the South will provide equally pretty views on the way to Sessions Peak (Peak 9,246). In addition, should you want an expedition to the Canadian Border (1,000 miles to the north) or New Mexico (1,000 miles to the south), the trailhead is a link in the Great Western Trail.

The trailhead has space for over a dozen vehicles and is sometimes crowded with ATV trailers. There isn’t water available and no bathroom facilities.

There isn’t a readily available water resupply point on either the North or South Skyline, so you need to bring your own. Both north and south trails are exposed to the sun for most of the hikes and it gets hot.

GETTING THERE

Skyline RoadSkyline Road
The Sessions Mt Road/Skyline Junction Trailhead is located 40.930298,-111.793061.

From I-15, take exit 317, turn right onto 400 N and go east toward the mountains for 2.6 miles. Take a sharp left toward Skyline Drive for .3 miles, then a slight right onto Skyline Drive. You will pass the Big B on the side of the mountain in a ritzy neighborhood. The road passes a huge dirt parking lot full of motorcycle and ATV trailers and becomes a well maintained (no potholes) dirt road that winds up the mountains for about 5 miles. Passenger cars shouldn’t have any troubles on the road. The trailhead is where the road splits with Skyline Road continuing north and Sessions Mt Road going east. It is an obvious trailhead. Park in the dirt parking lot.

The Skyline Road is normally closed in the winter.

CAMPING/RED TAPE:

Skyline Session THThe Trailhead

CAMPING:

Camping is allowed but few spots are desirable along the ridgeline. There is the occasional fire ring on several of the peaks, but they didn’t really appear to be places where people overnighted; it’s just too windy. There are several USFS sanctioned camping areas along Skyline Road.

RED TAPE:

USFS land in the Wasatch National Forest, no fees. Dogs, horses, pack goats, llamas, and oxen are allowed. Because it’s USFS land be sure to abide by the usual regulations inherent to Government property—The area is well patrolled by USFS personnel.

HELPFUL WEBSITES

www.mountainzone.com/mountains/detail.asp?fid=3106956
www.micksmtn.20m.com/bountiful.html
www.co.davis.ut.us/discoverdavis/recreation/hiking.cfm
www.tripleblaze.com/2/7121/.../Bountiful-Peak-Campground-(ut).html
www.us-parks.com/.../ut/bountiful-peak-group-campground.html


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
 
Bountiful PeakTrailheads