Sleeping Giant Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Dec 4, 2021 9:54 am Date Climbed: Dec 4, 2021

Blue Trail to Gravel Road  Sucess!

Did a fun loop up the steep and beautiful blue trail, to the tower, and then down the gravel road. Unexpected gem but super busy even in December!

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Apr 20, 2020 9:21 am Date Climbed: Apr 19, 2020

loop hike  Sucess!

A chap on Talcott earlier in the day warned me that this mountain was popular, so I took a little used trail to the tower (red diamond, which had parking available) and then skirted a cliff before going back down the violet trail. This mountain has many cascades and small waterfalls for its short height.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 8, 2019 9:12 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2019

Fun place  Sucess!

With Flanders. Hit all the body parts from the Chin to the Knob. Fun hiking around this park. Neat tower too.

ScAtTeRbOnE

ScAtTeRbOnE - Jul 4, 2010 11:55 pm Date Climbed: Jun 15, 2010

Bachelor Hike  Sucess!

Hiked this mountain with one of my groomsmen the day before I got married on Hammonasset Beach.

jcoalter

jcoalter - Apr 5, 2010 10:41 am Date Climbed: Oct 12, 2002

Pretty Day Climb   Sucess!

I was visiting a friend a college and we were bored and it was a nice day, so we spent the day finding the hardest way possible up Sleeping Giant. Views from the top were fabulous, looking at the Long Island sound and all the fall foliage.

iditarod81

iditarod81 - Aug 7, 2009 3:51 pm

My mom grew up in Hamden; we did this as a family :-)  Sucess!

A lovely family hike!

Rockscaler

Rockscaler - Feb 3, 2009 5:58 pm

A friend talked it up!  Sucess!

She kept saying that it was HER mountain! lol!

locationA_D_D85

locationA_D_D85 - Feb 13, 2006 1:31 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2004

MAN MADE OF STONE  Sucess!

The giant and i are very familiar_this is the closest thing to a mountain where i used to live_the giant was a regular hike for me and i know just about all of the trails__its a good hike to the top and the castle tops it off_there is a cave if anyone is interested in looking for it__i know where it is_and will give you directions_DEAD MANS CAVE_sounds stupid but thats the name_someone lived and died in it or so i have heard_information gets around quick living in HAMDEN ct._go explore you'll find something interesting

ScarletTanager

ScarletTanager - Aug 24, 2005 11:42 am

Route Climbed: Tower (via Blue and White trails) Date Climbed: August 20, 2005  Sucess!

My brothers and I thought we were "settling" for a day of easy hiking at Sleeping Giant when our New Hampshire plans got cancelled, but we weren't expecting the Blue and White trails (ranked the most difficult in the park) to be such a workout! It was a pleasant surprise -- I don't imagine there are too many hikes in CT that offer scrambling opportunities like this one.



The park as a whole (tower, trails, picnic areas, facilities) is very well-maintained, and with so many trails of varying difficulties, it's really a great afternoon getaway for the restless Nutmegger. The day was overcast and relatively hazy, but the views were still impressive, and the ocean was visible from the southern overlooks.

fox5659

fox5659 - Sep 24, 2003 7:34 pm

Route Climbed: Tower (I Think) Date Climbed: Summer 1969  Sucess!

This was the first named mountain I ever hiked. A family outing with lot's of complaining from us as kids. I remember I calmed down considerably when we reached the top and the views took over.

mtnhiker13

mtnhiker13 - Mar 4, 2003 4:47 pm

Route Climbed: Tower Route Date Climbed: many many times  Sucess!

I cannot remember how many times I have climbed to the Tower. Having grown up only miles from this wonderful state park, I used to ride my bike over there and hike. During my years as a track and cross country runner, I ran to the top many times as well. Interestingly enough, I have never climbed up to the head. I plan to do this route on a return trip to CT this fall to visit family who now lives even closer to the park.

Great family hike, the trails are wide and shaded in the summer. This keeps the heat down tremendously.

butterflywings73

butterflywings73 - Nov 17, 2002 9:48 am

Route Climbed: Up the top of the head and down the neck Date Climbed: November 2001  Sucess!

We climbed up the steepest portion, the head. Here we had great views of the leaves. It was beautiful and surprisingly challenging. After having spent years hiking in California, returning to my home stomping grounds was invigorating. The mold was a bit much to deal with though. The wet leaves retain mold quite well, and I had forgotten that.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Sleeping Giant' main page