Slocan Chief Cabin
|[ Sizes: Orig | Large | Med | Small | Thumb ]|
The Slocan Chief Cabin was built as a shelter for the miners of the Smuggler Mining Company in 1896. Throughout its history, it had been managed and maintained by the Kootenay section of the ACC, Robert (Spyglass) Macleod, and BC Parks. In 2003, the Kokanee Glacier Cabin was completed and replaced the Slocan Chief Cabin as the shelter for hikers and backcountry skiers who frequent the area. The Slocan Chief Cabin is now used as an interpretive centre illustrating the history of the cabin, Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park, the Kootenay Mountaineering Club, and the mining history within the area of the park.
Photo by Laszlo Hulicsko, July 11, 2011