Viewing: 1-20 of 50
kletterwebbi

kletterwebbi - Mar 20, 2003 11:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very good idea to add the famous "Smithies" to SP. Good page.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 8:46 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the nice vote!

....I guess a bit of "cragging" is good when the mountains are engulfed in crappy weather - kind of the reason why I've been adding these Smith features.

radek

Dave K - Mar 21, 2003 6:03 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very good page and an important addition to Oregon's peaks.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 8:42 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the good vote.

radek

mrolph

mrolph - Mar 21, 2003 8:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done! Thanks for another quality page,



Martin

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 8:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the nice vote and the kind remarks.

radek

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 8:40 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the nice vote.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 8:44 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the good vote and the cool route additions (been thinking of doing Sky Chimney - that lieback part - I think you mention it's 30 feet - could be a bit spooky?).

radek

keema

keema - Mar 21, 2003 11:01 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page. Good information and addition to SP.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 1:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the good vote!

rpc

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 2:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for the good vote!

radek

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 21, 2003 12:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

As usual, most excellent! Glad you added this.

rpc

rpc - Mar 21, 2003 2:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote Brian!

radek

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Mar 24, 2003 7:17 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nah, it's not too bad, just the first two moves or so gettting started in it are creaky, the rest of it is solid. It's a funky route, and the views of the main climbing area are fun. When you're done, post any corrections you feel are worthy, as I wrote my description from an old memory, and may have made a mistake or two. It's more of a description to entice people to try it, I assume that climbers will check the guidebook before actually doing the route, so any corrections you make while the route is fresh in your head would greatly help.



I suppose that next you'll post the Christian Brothers or the Red Wall, or the 4 Horsemen as a peak. When you do, I'm all ready to add some more route descriptions. I'd do it myself, but my photos are low in volume and quality.

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Mar 24, 2003 7:22 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

PS, thanks for the Wherever I May Roam route description. I saw the beginning of that route in the summer of 2001, and wondered what it was. I'll be climbing in the Sierras and in Oregon for all of July this coming summer, if I make it to Smith, it's the first thing I'll try. Never skip a Ryan Lawson route if you have the chance. Cheers.



Darin.

rpc

rpc - Mar 24, 2003 12:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Darin,

Thanks for the cool route additions. Been thinking of Sky Chimney but I think we'll give Sky Ridge a crack first (supposedly the crux 5.8 face moves are nicely bolted - apparently some of it's been retro bolted by R.L.). Do you have any photos of either Sky Chimney/Ridge - those would be cool to see?



The Christian Brothers thing.....well, was thinking of trying that Christian Brothers Traverse route (5.7X) but after talking to two people who've done it, I think we'll wait for some time before giving that a crack (loose and runout = dangerous for climbers and for the folks down below - it's best to do this route offseason and mid-week when there's no people down below). Have you done that one? I think the Red Wall is a more likely addition - want to do Super slab and Moscow but have had some bad luck on first 2 attempts of super slab (forgetting 2nd rope and rain = bail after first pich of S. Slab).



Wasn't exactly sure how Wherever I May Roam would be received by the SP audience since it IS bolted all the way - but I think it's a great route and there's little out there about it (my argument was that a lot of the cool stuff at Smith is face climbing and hence bolted). Got a couple more new (month or two old) R.L. routes - let me know if you want beta on those (both are in the Kiss of the Leppers area n. of Monkey - unless you already know of them.

radek

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Mar 30, 2003 2:26 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Sure, post the new RL routes. Most of his routes in the Marsupials are excellent, so I have no small amount of faith of routes he's done in other areas. I'm prettty clueless about new routes, since it was about 4 years ago that I was really active there. Never did the Christian Brothers traverse, or Sky Ridge for that matter. May I suggest the West Face Variation of Monkey face, it's a long fun day, and of course, you've already done Spiderman haven't you?

rpc

rpc - Apr 1, 2003 8:59 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Darin,

....actually have not yet done Spiderman (been working up the nerve to lead it). Next on my "tic list" is the West Face variation of the Pioneer Route (though I'll probably rap from the notch - doing the bolt ladder twice in one year is one time too many for me).

I'll try to add the Kiss of the Lepers area sometime in the next few weeks (there are two great new RL routes there - one of which is beyond our abilities now, 10c A2 bolted). If you are going to be at Smith before I add these, let me know and I can just email you whatever beta I have.

radek

darinchadwick

darinchadwick - Apr 1, 2003 10:16 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Congrats on the Sky Ridge climb. You are now overqualified to lead all the pitches on Spiderman. It isn't that bad, the roof is overhanging, but the jugs are so huge, it just feels so good! The crux is actually in the dihedral below, but it sucks up gear, so just go for it! I found Sky Chimney to be a little more scary, cause it isn't climbed as often, but hey, you've done Sky Ridge, which I never had the nerve to do.

Darin.

rpc

rpc - Apr 1, 2003 10:31 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Darin.



Actually I think Sky Chimney looks WAY more intimidating than Sky Ridge (had the pleasure of rapping down next to it --- ouch!). The latter has this unpleasant start on crappy rock (what I called pitch 2 but what the book calls pitch1) - but it really is easy (5.4 maybe 5.5 range). Just test your holds before committing. What makes it intimidating the 1st time around (and I was spared this part since our friends went ahead of us as a separate team) is that you can't really see the first (double) bolts on the west face until they're almost in your face. Also, you can sling a solid-looking boulder just above the start of pitch 1. This gives you a fairly solid piece that would keep you off the ground (the deck is closer on the west side) almost until you reach the bolts (no falls allowed zone about 10 feet before the bolts). Although I did not have it with me, I think you can get a really solid #3.5 Camalot placement about 1/2 way to the bolts in a nice pocket (I know that #3 Camalot was too small).

What I'm trying to say is that it's a pretty neat route with an OUTSTANDING position that I think you'd really enjoy.

Radek

Viewing: 1-20 of 50
Return to 'Smith Rock Group' main page