"Sometimes I feel sorry for the river..."

"Sometimes I feel sorry for the river. It works every second of the ages carving away at the rocks and digging its canyons. It carries a million tons of silt a day. And again, I feel sorry for the mountains with the river gnawing at their inside, but I guess my sympathy doesn't seem very important to either of them." - Buzz Holmstrom, legendary Southwest river man (1937) Paradox - The Passing of Time at 'Goosenecks:' Around the small (it takes a village) of Mexican Hat in SE Utah, the San Juan River is slow-moving and flows through a relatively shallow red rock canyon with many wide curves; more of these convolutions can be seen in the nearby Goosenecks State Park, reached by a 4-mile paved road (UT 316) that branches off UT 261 a little way north of town. The state park, to which entry is free, has just one extended viewpoint of several HUGE river bends, now flowing (approximately) 1,000 ft (305 m) below ground level in a DEEP canyon with a series of stepped cliffs & terraces, a feature recognized as one of the best examples of entrenched meanders in the world. At the park, the waters flow through 5 miles of canyon whilst progressing westwards only one mile. Beyond the visible meanders, the river continues to twist & turn as the canyon deepens, before joining Lake Powell after about 35 miles. (Yes, a bit like "TWISTED SISTER.") Geology: The river originates in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, and many millions of years ago flowed gently across a flat landscape, forming LARGE meanders that frequenty changed position.Uplift associated with the creation of the Colorado Plateau caused the river (gradually) to become entrenched, PRESERVING the most recent course in the deep canyons seen today. The rocks forming the sides of gorge are shale and limestone from the Paradox Formation and the Honaker Trail Formation, up to 300 million years old. Approximate elevations (your readings may vary): Peak in the foreground: 4,953'
Park's overlook elevation: 4,980'
Elevation of the river: 4,100'
April 26, 2009
lcarreau
on May 5, 2009 8:11 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Informational,  Scenery,  Humor,  Water
Image ID: 511699

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
bubbaruns

bubbaruns - May 13, 2009 4:23 pm - Voted 10/10

perfect photo

What a perfect photo, I can almost feel the depth, great information too.

lcarreau

lcarreau - May 13, 2009 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: perfect photo

Thanks, bubba! Actually, it's probably an
elevation loss of 1,000 ft (back) down to the
bottom of the river.

I never get tired of looking at this river.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2