Sommerstein

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.45342°N / 12.91443°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7572 ft / 2308 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sommerstein
The summit cross of Sommerstein
Steinernes Meer
is one of the subgroupes of Berchtesgaden Alps. It’s name means „The sea of stones“ in English and it really looks like the sea of stones: the limestone mountain landscape without water and meadows, only stones everywhere. 

Sommerstein resembles a small rock tooth in the saddle Ramseider Scharte between two majestic summits in the main ridge of Steinernes Meer: Breithorn and Schönegg, seen from the valley below south slopes of Steinernes Meer. 

Sommerstein could be called „home mountain“ of Riemann hut due to its close location and fast accessibility. 

Sommerstein is neither so high nor so mighty as Breithorn or Schönfeldspitze but when you stay on its top next to the small iron summit cross, you can see a wonderful panorama: the whole long ridge of Hohe Tauern on the south (with its highest summits Grossglockner, Grossvenediger, Ankogel and their glaciers etc.), the large karst plateau in the central part of Steinernes Meer and the jagged sharp massif of Watzmann in the background on the north, the huge ridge with the summit of Schönfeldspitze on the east and the majestic summit of Breithorn on the west. 
The ascent to Sommerstein is possible to make as a pleasant half-day trip from Maria Alm in the valley or as a part of the multi-day crossing of the main ridge of Steinernes Meer.

Getting There

From A10-highway you have to take the Exit 46 Knoten Pongau and then take the road 311 to Bischofshofen. Then turn right to road 164 and keep direction to Maria Alm. In Maria Alm follow the road along the stream Griessbach to the Griessbachwinkl. The road changes into the dusty forest road after a while. There is the best trailhead: a big car park Sandten at the end of the road at altitude about 1130 meters. You can find the signposts „Riemannhaus“ all the road from Maria Alm to the car park.

Sommerstein
On the top of Sommerstein
Sommerstein
The summit view to the north
Sommerstein
The summit view to the south

Route

For hikers:
From the car park you take the broad forest road to the lower station of a material cableway for Riemann hut. At an altitude about 1550 meters starts a marked path number 410 to Riemann hut. The path runs very interestingly in the vertical south face of main ridge of Steinernes Meer. There are steel ropes in many places, the path goes under the overhanging rock and over the artificial rock steps. Some parts of the path can be a bit problematic for people suffering from vertigo. After about 2:30 hours you stay next to the Riemann hut (2177m) in the saddle Ramseider Scharte below the steep western slopes of Sommerstein.
For hikers leads easy marked path in the scree north-east slope to the top of Sommerstein. It takes about 20 – 30 minutes from Riemann hut.

Sommerstein
Sommerstein seen from the car park
Sommerstein
The path to Riemann hut
Sommerstein
The path to Riemann hut


For climbers:
Sommerstein is sought after locality for climbers due to short and quick accessibility from Riemann hut. There are some climbers routes in the almost vertical south-west face, west face and north-west face of Sommerstein.

Sommerstein
The signpost to Riemann hut
Sommerstein
An ascent on Sommerstein
Sommerstein
Riemann hut (2177m)

Red Tape

No limitations.

When to Climb

Sommerstein
The path to Riemann hut
The best period for hiking is from June to October – snow free period.

Mountain huts

Riemann hut (2177m) - a big and very frequented hut of German alpine club.
Sommerstein
The summit of Sommerstein and Riemann hut

Maps

Kompass: WK 30 - Saalfelden - Saalbach-Hinterglemm - Zell am See.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Berchtesgaden AlpsMountains & Rocks