South ridge from Sedlo pod Drukom

South ridge from Sedlo pod Drukom

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.16567°N / 20.11506°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: I UIAA
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Batizovska or Zlomiskova valley.
Both routes have difficulties I UIAA.

Route discription

Route from Batizovska valley takes about 30min.This couloir is a little bit brittle,so you can climb not straight ahead but in right side of the couloir on the rocks. Be careful in winter time.There is normal avalanche danger there.This couloir is easy visible between Končistá massif and Popradský Ľadový štít.
Route to Popradský Ľadový štít(2400 m) via South ridge

Descent to Batizowska valley




Top of Popradský Ľadový štít

Vysoka seen from the ridge near Popradský Ľadový štít

When you reach Sedlo Pod Drukom you will see the ridge in the right side which leads you easily to the summit.In summer you need about 30-45min to reach the top.The ridge is partly exposed and narrow but with stable rocks.In winter you have to calculate even 2 houres,it depends on snow conditions.There is a rocky gap in the middle of the ridge.You have to make a big step or hang on your hands.It can be problematic during winter climbing.


On the sothern ridge of Popradský Ľadový štít

On the southern ridge of Popradský Ľadový štít

On the southern ridge of Popradský Ľadový štít





Second possibility

Ascent from Zlomiskova valley to Sedlo pod Drukom takes about 1,45min.Of course everything depends on conditions when it is winter for example.There is normal avalanche risk there.The couloir is steeper than this one from Batizovska valley.There are very brittle rocks on exposed passages in summer time.It could be very unpleasant there even when it is only I UIAA.
The rest of the route after reaching the pass Sedlo pod Drukom is the same as in ealier discription.
Popradský Ľadový štít (right) seen from Zlomiskova valley

Our footmarks from Zlomiskova valley to Sedlo pod Drukom

Route from Zlomiska valley in Popradsky Ladovy(Zmarzly) stit direction

Essential Gear

Normal hiking gear.In winter: crampons,ice axe,helmet,rope (can be useful)

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.