South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.89580°N / 114.4017°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Ketchum, Idaho, travel north on Idaho 75 for 7 miles until coming to the turnoff for the Sawtooth National Recreation Headquarters on the right.

Make the turnoff and continue past the odd shaped building on a paved road. The road quickly turns into an improved dirt road. Drive past Murdock Creek, numerous campgrounds and camping areas, and a camp until reaching the end of the road in a large trailhead area after about 5 miles. The last 1 mile of the road is mildly rough but passable for passenger vehicles.

From the parking area, two prominent trails lead two different directions, be sure and take the North Fork Trailhead.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:9.5
  • Total Elevation Gain:5,000'
  • Class:III

    The North Fork Trail begins as a relatively flat trail meandering through the North Fork of the Big Wood River Valley.

    After 1.5 miles, the West Pass trail veers off to the right in a small meadow. This junction is only marked with a small rock cairn so keep your eyes open.

    Follow this moderately steep trail until about the 9,000 foot mark. At the 9,000' contour, bushwack across the valley and head for the saddle between Kent and Pt. 11,000. The scramble to the saddle involved some tiring scree and talus climbing but is justified with an awe-inspiring view of Kent Peak once at the top.

    Lower Titus Peak photo_id=111103


    Turn due north up the south ridge. The large summit block Kent Peak involves some tricky moves and difficult route finding problems on class three terrain. be sure not to venture to far from the main ridge because of the unstable nature of the terrain. The summit will offer rewarding views of the Boulders and Ketchum/Sun Valley area.

    Essential Gear


    Only good route finding skills through the last few hundred feet of the summit block.

    This route is not suggested for a snow ascent.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Kent PeakRoutes