South Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.85750°N / 121.3744°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The description here will be from Perfect Pass, so if you read the "How to get there" part on Whatcom Peak you can start this route. It is as obvious as it gets. "Perfect Pass" is 6300 feet and the summit is 7,574 feet, so you only need another 1200 feet. You can see the summit from the Pass. Climb the moderate snow field to the Col between the west (lower) summit and the Northeast (true) summit. Then simply pick your way on the ridge. It is breath taking to look over the Northwest face. So for safety and peace of mind, we did rope up and use some protection. Part of this was our very heavy packs. We were traversing the peak to downclimb the North Ridge route to Whatcom Pass and then exit out to Hannegan Pass instead of retracing our route in on Easy Ridge. This route reminded us of the Northeast Ridge on Black Peak, but shorter and easier.

Getting There

Hike alpine zone on Easy Ridge to Perfect Pass. See Whatcom Peak beta.

Route Description

Add Route Description text here.

Essential Gear

We felt a rope was mandatory. I'm sure many would do it without. We used Ice axe and crampons on the snow field.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.