South Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.05470°N / 121.8381°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See notes in the "Getting There" section as this will get you to the start of either a winter ascent or a summer hike/ascent.

Route Description

For winter:
From the snow park, ski or snowshoe east on closed Road 30 for 1.7 miles to the junction of Road 30 and Road 65. Continue on .5 miles to the intersection of the Quarry Road on the left. Turn left and the route gets steeper. If the snow is soft, you'll have to put skins on your skis if the trail is unbroken as we did. It's another .8 miles up to the southwestern side of the mountain and the quarry site. Nice views of Hood and St. Helens already here.

If you want to make it a challenge, go around the left side of the quarry and go about 50 yards through the trees to a steep snowfield to climb. Watch out for avalanche conditions here though as the snow gets slabby sometimes. If you are not wanting a snowclimb, go right around the quarry site and climb through the trees trailless along the southern ridge. Near the summit, the trees get thin and short and you come to rock. Enjoy the views up top.

For summer:
Drive the route above to the junction of the jeep road to the quarry and Road 30. Park there and hike the rest as descibed above.

Essential Gear

None needed in summer.

In winter you'll want either skis or snowshoes for the approach and climb. May want to take crampons/ice ax if consolidated snow.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.