South slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.96470°N / 106.3383°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route is appropriate for a Harvard-Oxford combo, but is not practical for clibing Oxford by itself or with Belford. The climb starts 1/4 mile SW of Bedrock Falls on the Pine Creek trail at 11,200 ft. From the Harvard summit, descend the NW ridge on tundra down to the trail.

If for some reason you wanted to try this route by itself, you can get there by hiking about 10 miles W on the Pine Creek trail from US 24. The first part of the trail crosses private property and there is a fee of $1 per person to pass (self serve pay). You can also approach from Missouri Gulch from the north. This is a bit shorter, but this involves crossing Elkhead Pass at 13,200 ft. If you go this way you can climb Oxford, Belford, and possibly Missouri on your return.

Route Description


The route is not marked on any map or guidebooks. I discovered it when scouting a route for Nolan's 14. It is easier than Roach's SE slopes route to Little John's Cabin.

You start by climbing an avalanche chute on loose rocks to the NW, or bushwacking along either side. Once above this difficulty at 11,600 ft, you cross a faint trail (not mapped) and the going is easier. Turn right (NE) for 1/2 mile until you come to the open meadow below the Belford-Oxford saddle. Cross the willows NE through numerous game trails, then hike straight up the tundra slopes N to the Oxford summit.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking stuff. Water is available at Pine Creek and at the bottom of the Belford-Oxford saddle at the willows.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.