South west ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.91400°N / 7.40300°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trekking
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: EE EEA
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Access: from Aosta , as explained in the main page, reach the village of Dzovenno , some kilometer before Bionaz, turn on the left for Ruz (1696 m).
Leave the car in the free parking and, on foot, go up to the Rifugio Crête Sèche (2410 m) (2h e 30?).
First day: from Ruz to the Rifugio Crête Sèche.
Time: 2 h and 30' .
Diff. in height: 714 m.
Difficulty: easy trekking
Second day from the Rifugio Rifugio Crête Sèche to the top of Trouma des Boucs.
Time: 3h.
Diff. in height: 853 m.
Trouma des Boucs difficulty : trekking classed EE over the Col de Crête Sèche.The short last part of the ridge requests attention because some part exposed.
Dents d?Oyace difficulty: some fixed cable help to climb and the way is easy but classed EEA.(expert trekkers with gears)

Route Description

Summer best period: half july-half september.
Starting from the rifugio Crête Sèche (2410 m) turn to the north, along the stream, in the direction of Bivacco Spataro (2615 m).
Byond the bivouac a flat area, named Plan de la Sabla, with some stream is to cross before to afford the ascent of the Col de Crête Sèche (2899 m).
Here turn to the right on the wide ridge and follow it.
From the Col de Crête Sèche on, the path is not well traced and some snow-field is present also in august.
The ridge dies in a small rocky valley leading to the Col de Chardonney.
Remain on the left of the small valley and go up progressively to the Col de Chardonney (see the map in the main page).
At the Col de Chardonney follow the ridge on the left and, in few minutes, get to the top of Trouma des Boucs (3263 m).
The panorama is wide open as it?s possible to see in the images attached to the main page.
Return to the Col de Crête Sèche, put the helmet and the harness, and continue on the ridge that become immediately sharp and steep but never difficult.
Follow the safety cables leading in less than one hour to the top of Dents d?Oyace.

Essential Gear

Gears: the Dents d?Oyace EEA (expert trekkers with gears) difficulty means that an helmet in necessary and a harness with 2 longes and 2 carabiners are strongly suggested for not experienced climbers.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.