Southeast Flank

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.57150°N / 107.154°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The directions to the best area to start from for this route are on the main page.

Route Description


The first obstacle, which is the arroyo, should be avoided if you took a right onto a east-west road bordering the southern part of the peak. There are several gullies with ridges that connect the flat plain where the road is to the shelf above the sedimentary rock. The peak's flank flattens out for about a hundred feet but then starts to climb again. About half way from the shelf to the summit, a rock outcropping layer spans most of the southern part of the peak, leading to a scramble ranging from 15 feet to the rest of the way up the peak. The best route from here is to climb up into the bowl below the summit which has a 15 foot scramble before it. Directly above the area where the bowl drops off, the dirt and rocks make for a slippery combination. From there, it is a hike with only cacti and other prickly plants to pester you on the way up.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking equipment should suffice. Make sure to bring plenty of water because there are no sources of water for at least an hour from the peak.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.