splattskiGranite the easy way

splattski

We loved this route. No ropes. No people. Thanks for a great page.
Posted Sep 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Larry VGranite

Larry V

Congrats on your trip and making it to the top by the southwest couloir! I've added you as an editor on the route page, so please rewrite anything that needs improvement. I think this was my first page on SummitPost, and was written 5-6 years after I was there. I've known it wasn't perfect but I haven't had the opportunity to go back to Montana yet. It is an important route to be on SummitPost, perfect or not.

I enjoyed reading your trip report. I agree that getting around the Aero lakes was a real pain. My nephew and dad have done both approaches you showed (approximately) and preferred the Aero lakes approach. Thanks for whatever improvements you can make to the SP page.
Posted Sep 17, 2007 11:29 pm

samhRoadless... and nearly trailess?

samh

Larry, thanks for the descriptive route info. I've been poring over Beartooth Absaroka topos lately wondering what the best and easiest access to Granite is. Your route provides a good option.
Posted Jul 27, 2008 2:35 am

bakcastAugust 22nd Conditions

bakcast

There are patchy spots of ice in the couloir right now. Passable in two places with a little class 4 climbing but several parties turned back due to conditions. I doubt the ce will clear out before the end of the season.
Posted Aug 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Larry VRe: August 22nd Conditions

Larry V

Thanks for the information. Lots of people are turned back by conditions on this mountain.
Posted Aug 26, 2009 10:51 pm

krissydog2011 Summer Conditions?

krissydog

Headed up Granite around Aug 16-18. Anyone have any beta on current conditions? What the nighttime temps are dropping to? What about snowpack up there (heavy this year, has it melted off yet)?

Any weather/conditions beta is very appreciated!
Posted Jul 30, 2011 6:15 pm

TomCladRe: 2011 Summer Conditions?

I'm planning same route on August 25-27
How were conditions?
Posted Aug 18, 2011 6:02 pm

jmayRe: 2011 Summer Conditions?

I'm hoping to be climbing August 26-28...what were the conditions like while you were there?
Posted Aug 19, 2011 3:55 pm

JMauchRe: 2011 Summer Conditions?

JMauch

Thinking about attempting the SW couloir over Labor Day weekend. How did your group fare? I'm assuming there's still plenty of snow in the couloir, but did there appear to be any significant melting with the warm temperatures of the past week? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted Aug 29, 2011 12:32 am

krissydogalmost in 2011

krissydog

We just attempted it aug 17-19. We had researched the trip well and contacted Friends of Granite for as much info as we could before. We haven't heard of anyone summiting that route this year.

We made it to the gully just below the black diamond formation. The gully was full of snow and ice. We were debating if we wanted to try and skirt around, put on our crampons (only to have to take them off at the top of the gully) or turn around. While debating the weather moved in. Dark clouds and rain made our decision for us.

We took the Zimmer creek approach. I do NOT recommend this on this record snow year. There was quite a bit of snow around the lakes and the trail disappears. You have to cross quite a bit of snow that is steep and ends in water. A slip would be bad. It took a lot of scrambling to get through the upper portion of than approach. I would recommend going up Sky Top Creek. We went down that way and it was much easier.

Going around the sky top lakes wasn't too tough but took more time then we anticipated because of all the extra snow pack. We met two groups as we were descending that were not prepared. No crampons, ice axes, etc.

If you attempt, go up Sky Top and camp as close to the base of the climb as you can. Get a very early start on summit morning. Everything will take longer with all the extra snow.

Good Luck!
Posted Aug 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Matt LemkeTH Access

Matt Lemke

As a note, you don't necessarily need a high clearance 4WD vehicle to get to the TH. My Toyota Camry Station wagon made it just fine in Aug 2012. Fantastic area! Did Granite via std route a few weeks ago and will return for both the SW and SE couloirs next spring.
Posted Aug 28, 2012 3:29 am