Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.60390°N / 119.8323°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The base of the climb starts at the saddle between Raymond Peak and the unnamed pinnacle 1/2mi to the SW. The shortest approach is from the Wet Meadows Reservoir TH. Follow the PCT south (actually heading east at this point) until you are just inside the Wilderness boundary. Take a side trail south that goes up a small valley west of the summit to a spring. Climb south up the class 2 slopes to the saddle.

From the south, take the PCT north from Ebbetts Pass for 5mi until you are just NE of Reynolds Peak. Leave the trail as it turns to head northeast, and climb to the low saddle just north of Reynolds Peak and just east of the Sierra Crest. Climb down the other side to the headwaters of Pennsylvania Creek, then up the other side, up the very loose and sandy slopes to the saddle and the start of the Southwest Ridge.

Route Description


From the saddle, follow the ridge to the summit. In two sections (one at the start and one about halfway up) where difficulties are encountered, descend a short distance left onto the West Face until you can climb back onto the ridge. The summit is the northernmost point that overlooks Raymond Lake below.

Essential Gear


None required.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.