Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.22340°N / 105.6642°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike - Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 - Easy Scrambling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section on the main Eagle Rock page.

Route Description


From the parking area head up the old road around the west side of Eagle Rock. As you pass Eagle Rock on your right the road will veer towards the north side of Eagle Rock and begin a gradual climb.

As you follow the road you will notice that it heads into the trees ahead of you. A few hundred feet prior to entering the trees you will leave the road to your right and angle up to a small saddle on the southwest ridge. If you look closely you can find a faint trail that will take you to the saddle. Finding the trail is not necessary it just makes the going a little easier.

Once at the saddle you will turn left and hike/scramble up the southwest ridge all the way to the summit. There are a few steep sections but nothing that exceeds Class 2 with some step ups. Along the ridge there are some nice rock formations.

This route is about a mile round trip and gains a little over 500 feet.

Essential Gear


Standard hiking gear is appropriate. Bring a camera, binoculars, map and compass to identify and photograph all of the peaks surrounding Eagle Rock.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.