Southwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.15530°N / 111.09244°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Southwest Ridge route begins at Buffalo Horn Pass. This pass is most easily reached from the east, beginning at Tom Miner Campground. However, it is possible to reach Buffalo Horn Pass from Gallatin Canyon or even Yellowstone National Park along Highway 191. These routes involve much longer hikes which are complicated by the scarcity of water in this area. The Southwest Ridge of Ramshorn Peak is a pleasant hike, although it is prone to being hot and dusty. I recommend and early start as shade is not plentiful. This would be a wonderful hike on a cool fall day. This is a very easy, though steep, class 1 hike and would make a perfect introduction to peakbagging in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem.

Length: 8 miles RT
Elevation Gain: 3,239 ft
Difficulty: Class 1

Getting There

Follow the directions on the main page to Tom Miner Campground.

Route Description

From the trailhead, go through the gate and follow the well-worn trail west through meadows and roughly paralleling Trail Creek. After a short distance, there is a signed junction for the "Petrified Forest Interpretive Trail" which branches off to the right. This trail is well worth hiking and leads to very interesting geological features, about 2 miles RT. For Ramshorn Peak, go LEFT and continue hiking along Trail Creek for 2 miles until you reach another signed junction in Buffalo Horn Pass. At this junction, turn right (north). This trail soon splits with a two track vehicle trail on your left and a foot path to the right. Head right into dense timber for a few minutes until you emerge in more open terrain along the southwest ridge. Follow the obvious trail along the ever steepening ridge for 2 miles to the summit. Descend the way you came up.
Buffalo Horn Pass

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear, plenty of water. This area is bear country and I always carry bear spray.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.