Southwest Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.01390°N / 115.35°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is a 4200'+/- ascent day. From the gravel pit, start southwest and stay to the left of a huge drainage/gully and ascend steeply to gain the ridge and keep it.

Route Description


Some of the ridge can be demanding slab terrain. Toward the summit, you will encounter some very interesting rock pinnacles, stay to the left. One such rock formation frames Sir Douglas providing for a perfectly framed view.
The main crux is a traverse over a 50 degree slope toward the summit. If covered in snow, an involuntarily glissade here could end the story, therefore, I recommend you make this a July trip on, unless experienced.
Another crux is an 11’ down climb prior to the final portion of the ridge. I advise descending the ridge as well, for it makes a more enjoyable day then the large scree, although, it takes longer. The views were tremendous of Assiniboine, Sir Douglas, Eon, Joffre and of course the hamlet of Canmore and the Bow Valley.
Tooltip for IE: Gamskofel

Essential Gear


Ice Ax (in case there is snow on the 50 degree slope), Helmet, Lunch, Camera, Underwear, Bear Spray, etc.

Crampons if Early.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.