Southwest

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.51560°N / 120.5006°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic snow or scramble-hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Wolf Creek Trailhead (see Getting There), hike the 10.3 miles to Gardner Meadows, immediately south of Gardner Mountain, with good campsites available. North Gardner and Gardner can be climbed from here.

Route Description

From Gardner Meadows do an ascending traverse NW into the valley SW of Gardner Mountain. As you approach the south ridge of North Gardner, find a high basin between Gardner's summit and point 8487. Hike into the basin and ascend to the ridge on the left. Upon achieving that ridge the westward views begin, so early light is best. Ascend this ridge to point 8487, which is essentially the south peak of North Gardner. Continue toward the summit staying left of the ridge when necessary.

If Gardner Mountain is also targetted for the same day, the connecting ridge from point 8487 to Gardner is also a scramble-hike, and the descent to Gardner Meadows can be made down the broad snow/scree couloir that begins SE of the summit of Gardner. There is a cliff band near the bottom of this route, but we found an easy ramp to the left of the stream.



Below is map containing the approximate route we used with rough mileages between significant points.

Essential Gear

An ice axe may be needed depending on the snow conditions. There is enough loose rock that some may prefer a hard hat as well.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Redwic

Redwic - Apr 24, 2009 11:31 am - Hasn't voted

Statistics For Route?

Would it be possible to put some stats (i.e. hiking distance, elevation gain, etc.) from Gardner Meadows campsite? That could help a lot of people (myself included) when planning a future trip in the area.

Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Apr 26, 2009 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Statistics For Route?

Please see the route page -- I added a map with approximate route and distances. -Bob

Redwic

Redwic - Apr 27, 2009 1:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Statistics For Route?

Thank you. That looks great!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.