brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Nice page for an interesting peak. Good, informative pictures. Thanks for posting.

You may want to turn the URLs for the webcam and snow conditions into clickable links. The FAQ page explains how to do that.
Posted Sep 27, 2004 11:53 am

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

I was wondering when someone would get around to posting this mountain. Well done.

What time did you all summit on Saturday?
Posted Sep 27, 2004 11:56 am

jverschuylUntitled Comment

jverschuyl

We summited at ~1 on Saturday, and were suprised to see three other parties on the climb.
Posted Sep 27, 2004 1:05 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

I was on top of Gallatin Peak at about 11am and peered aroud with binoculars to see if anyone was on the surrounding mountains. I didn't see anyone on the Sphinx but your timing would explain why. It sure was a beautiful day!

It looks from your photos like there was more snow over there than there was in the Spanish Peaks. I only ran into significant snow by about 10,500'.
Posted Sep 27, 2004 1:55 pm

jverschuylUntitled Comment

jverschuyl

I've been wanting to climb Gallatin peak for a while... I am not a great rock climber, only comfortable to the 5.7 or 5.8 range. How hard is the climb? and how is the rock?
Posted Sep 27, 2004 3:30 pm

bakcastUntitled Comment

bakcast

The rock on Gallatin is so-so, pretty typical for the Spanish peaks. lots of loose granite talus. I took the south face and there are numerous possible routes I could see with the hardest being 4th class if you take the "south ridge" near the top. 3rd class would be the easiest southern route I would guess. The summit register indicates many other routes...Norht face, west ridge, southeast ridge etc.

In the future, I've got my eye on the NE ridge!

The tough part is the length of the hike. I came in from Hellroaring creek in a day. All told - 25 miles, 5,500', 9 hours. My dogs and I were dead to the world Saturday night.
Posted Sep 27, 2004 4:16 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Beautiful countryside!

Posted Sep 27, 2004 12:25 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Excellent page! This is an awesome mountain and you've posted some nice photos to go with it. Great job and have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Sep 27, 2004 1:22 pm

Jerry LUntitled Comment

Jerry L

Excellent page. You took some nice pictures. I can't wait to climb this peak.
Posted Sep 27, 2004 2:54 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Stunning Peak(s)!
Posted Sep 28, 2004 7:42 am

gatoUntitled Comment

gato

Nice work!
Posted Sep 28, 2004 11:34 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Fred, the maintainer never replied to me. I was not outvoted 14:1 when I originally voted. However, it seems like the page was updated the day I voted, so now it is 4 stars. I do not remember every page I vote on.
Posted Nov 22, 2004 9:42 pm

pintlerproUntitled Comment

pintlerpro

Good page
Posted Jan 3, 2005 10:38 am

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

Interesting looking peak- nice job on this page.
Posted Jan 28, 2006 2:21 am

dino61111Much easier than it looks

dino61111

I climbed this peak last week, 8/25/2015. It appears that someone has taken the time to much improve the previously mentioned "goat paths" since the time of initial climbs. As of now,with a cairned trail right to the top, and taking into account the clear way around the "crux"; I would now rate this climb as class 1 with very little that could even be called class 2. Still, a totally worthy climb to a beautiful mountain. Though taking plenty of stamina to climb, this may be one of the technically easiest peaks to summit in the region.
Posted Aug 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Matt LemkeRe: Much easier than it looks

Matt Lemke

Thanks for the info! When I climbed it it was mostly snow covered but I figured in the summer it would be an easier trail
Posted Aug 30, 2015 6:22 pm