Stairs Gulch

Stairs Gulch

One of the snowfields in Stairs Gulch. The snow was consolidated so we cramponed up it. The route above this goes over steep rock slabs and more snowfields up to the ridge. This photo was taken in early June.
mountaingazelle
on Jun 12, 2005 9:25 pm
Image ID: 109851

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 24, 2008 1:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Melinda ...

Do you understand why this photo has
eight votes of 10/10, and it's only
rated at 76.37%? Or, are you like me
and don't give a dime about the votes
or the numbers - you just feel lucky to
be given the opportunity to enjoy the
natural wonders of Planet Earth??

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Apr 24, 2008 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Melinda ...

Thanks Larry. Yes, I understand. This is one of my older photos and isn’t the best quality. It was early in the morning but it shows the route we went up. During the 1st version of Summitpost voting was done anonymously. The 2nd version of Summitpost made voting out in the open where you could see who had voted. Some people care about pretty photos and ignore helpful photos with good information. I have had a few of my pages down voted but is usually by someone who doesn’t explain why or has submitted very little themselves.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 24, 2008 3:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Melinda ...

Yes, I could never completely understand
the reasoning and validity behind the
actions of a few people. Just human nature,
I guess. Sometimes, it's like trying to
make sense out of the senseless. Thank you
for the interesting and valuable information.
- Larry

nanga26 - Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Did this in 70's

I'm 58 years old now, but I soloed this route several times in the mid 70's and it was always in May or June, the winters were different back then and lasted 6 months. Up a little higher from where this photo was taken, there was a short section of steep snow that I climbed, and I could hear a waterfall behind the wall of snow I was on! I was scared but kept going, and pitched my Sierra Designs Expedition tent up higher between two bent over pine trees (after some snow excavation), I slept like a baby in this menacing place.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Did this in 70's

Thanks for your comment! We climbed this route in early June, 2005. I also remember hearing water running underneath the snow which kept us moving fast up the route. We climbed Stairs Gulch in a day and then descended down Broads Fork but I can’t remember how long it took us. This route is known for its avalanche danger. There was a well known accident from a rare glide avalanche in 2001 that resulted in the deaths of two climbers in Stairs Gulch.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5