The lot for this route provides plenty of parking for those who do not live near the Pulpit Rock Open Space. This is a great walk for those seeking a little outdoor fun close to home (or close to area hotels for out-of-town visitors).
Parking for Standard Nevada Ave. Route: Travel north on Nevada Avenue. Before reaching the interchange with Interstate 25, turn right onto the parallel frontage road (as if going to the Harley-Davidson dealership). Follow that road to a dead end near to an electrical substation. See a sign for Pulpit Rock Open Space and park.
• After parking at the Open Space trailhead near the electric sub-station, go through the metal gates and follow the wide path down the hill past some good-sized Cottonwoods.
• Leaving the valley turn right and begin your way up the gentle ascent. Eventually on your left you'll see the remnants of an old fence heading up a ridge.
• Follow the goat trail up the ridge heading east. The trail will wind around first east, then south, then east again.
• Eventually you'll turn north and the trail brings you to the chimney of an old house. Head north from here and follow the trail until it begins to steepen.
• Follow the most solid route to the base of the stone block.
• Move around to your right/north to find a welcoming path to the sandstone platform just below the summit block. (Watch your footing, the sand makes things very slippery.) Relax here and enjoy the view of Pikes Peak, then wriggle your way up the crack in the summit block and briefly perch yourself on top of Pulpit Rock!