Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.15135°N / 117.61773°W
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The standard route to Sandy Peak follows the crest of the Last Chance Range from the saddle where the Eureka Valley Road crosses the range. It's a pleasant ridge ramble. There are probably routes that you can take directly from Eureka Valley, but I don't know of any established routes that have been reported. Coming from the valley would probably be a tough affair, involving much more gain and rough terrain.

Getting There

From Big Pine, CA, take highway 168 east 2.4 miles to the Death Valley Road (Forest Service Road 9S18, also known as the Waucoba-Saline Valley Road) and turn southeast (right). Follow this paved (at first) road and well-graded dirt (from Eureka Valley onward) road as it crosses the Inyo Crest and drops into Eureka Valley before climbing again up into the Last Chance Range. Keep following the the road to the crest of the Last Chance range to a very broad open saddle and park (4900 ft.). If you start heading back downhill a ways and end up at Crankshaft Junction, you've gone too far. Backtrack from Crankshaft Junction 3 miles back to the saddle. I found the topo helpful when locating the saddle and where to park.

You can also reach the area from northern Death Valley en route to Crankshaft Junction. Once at the junction turn left and head uphill to the saddle.

Route Description

From your parking spot, hike across open sage brush for a mile SE to a shallow canyon. Don't be tempted to cut east to the shallow canyon too early - it stays flatter and smoother staying slightly to the west and cutting over once closer to the shallow canyon. Head eastward up the shallow canyon to near its head and cut up to the ridgeline. Then head southward along this ridge, soaking in the views along the way. It's a long ways along this ridge before reaching the summit. There are a number of false summits along the way

Sandy Peak

Essential Gear

No technical gear required. Just a good pair of boots and plenty of water, as there is none en route to the peak.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.