Standard West Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.11510°N / 120.6293°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble with exposure
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See Main Page for descriptions on how to get to the 6,700-ft trail camp in the meadow at the head of the valley. This camp is south of the summit. These approaches all come in via the North Fork Entiat River drainage.

Route Description


From the trail camp at 6,700 ft in the meadow 0.7 miles south of the summit, hike the trail northward until it turns sharply left at a small boggy meadow at ~6,900 ft (the trail continues around the south shoulder of Saska). Leave the trail and ascend northward or veer slightly east of due north over open terrain almost to the ridge crest between Emerald and Saska. Just before the crest look for a scree and talus slope leading up and to the right to a notch on the Northwest Ridge. Ascend this about halfway then cut right (south) into the adjacent gully. Climb this gully to the depression between the summits. The true (north) summit is to the left of the depression. Some exposure here.

Distance from car to summit = 9.5 miles (95% trail). Elevation gain = 4,700 ft. Time = 5-6 hours.
Distance from meadow camp = 1.0 mile (half of this is trail). Elevation gain = 1,700 ft. Time = 1.5-2.5 hours.

Essential Gear


Outdoor clothing in case of bad weather.
No technical gear needed. Helmet optional.
Ice axe if early season or mid-season. There may be snow in the gullies. By late season these should be all but gone.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.