Standard

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 0.46000°N / 78.48°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike with short scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: brief class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the main page for directions from Quito. It is a bumpy ride so if you have hired a camioneta in AmaguaƱa, try to be one of the lucky bastards sitting in the cab rather than the bed.

It should cost around $10 to the turnoff to Comuna Pasochoa.

Ideally you will be dropped off at the end of the road below the abandoned house. Likely not. Continue up the road to the abandoned house and make a left crossing the barbed wire fence and the creek.

Turn right and walk along the edge of the field crossing one fence before reaching a second with a dirt track leading left. Some guidebooks suggest continuing straight here but I disagree. Turn left and follow the path to the road where you turn right. Follow the road to the first gate on the right. Take the gate and begin trending upward. You can see your objective.

Route Description


At the ridge follow the cattle and climber footpaths along the ridge. The Bosque Protector route is located on the ridge opposite. Begin ascending more steeply now up a grassy ridge. Under the highpoints start the traverse. You should be able to follow some paths.

As you approach the summit you have two choices. The standard route supposedly (or perhaps historically) climbs the summit from the opposite side so you will need to traverse below and wrap around before completing the steep climb to the summit.

What is perhaps the more commonly climbed variation is more direct and a bit more fun. It climbs to the saddle on the rim north of the summit instead of traversing to the other side. From there follow a good path along the rim to the rather steep summit. You will need to cross a band of vegitation with a couple moves requiring your hands. Navigate the plants along the trail passing a tower along the way. Pop out on good rock and enjoy the next 10 m to the summit.

Essential Gear


Pretty much standard hiking gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PasochoaRoutes