mpbroUntitled Comment

Posted Feb 13, 2002 1:08 pm

PopoffUntitled Comment

Great page, good info.
Posted Nov 15, 2002 9:56 am

MoniUntitled Comment

Moni

I lived in Jordan Valley for 1 year (and lived!). Used to man the South Mountain fire lookout - looked at the Steens every day, but never made the journey to them.
Posted Jun 29, 2004 11:06 am

IdahoKidUntitled Comment

IdahoKid

Good page but I would recommend a signature photo.

Sean
Posted Jun 8, 2005 11:27 pm

mutant1Untitled Comment

mutant1

Thanks for the vote. I did add a signature photo.
Posted Jun 22, 2005 2:20 pm

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

Nice job- seldom visited area
Posted Jan 28, 2006 12:56 am

desainmeBook on Steens Mtn.

desainme

Steens Mountain in Oregon's High Desert Country. by E. R. Jackman and John Schraff
Posted Mar 7, 2009 11:45 pm

calebEOCRe: Book on Steens Mtn.

calebEOC

I snuck a copy of that book from my grandpa's house last year. I also picked up an out of print copy of "Oregon's Great Basin Country" from my Great Aunt's house. It seems the best books on this area were printed 30-40 years ago. One unique thing about the the Steens Mountain book is heft of each individual page, they dont make em like that anymore.
Posted Mar 8, 2009 12:37 am

Luke MorrisGreat page

Luke Morris

I have fished man lake and spent a lot of time around this area with my Dad. I love seeing some of the places in your pictures. Me and my Father had quite a falling out in my youth and much of the repairing of the damage was done driving all over this country. this place has a lot of special meaning for me. Again great page.
Posted Mar 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Bubba SuessStill snowy

Bubba Suess

I ended up going to the Sawtooths last week rather than Steens because the road does not open until 31July. On the way back home, we drove through Burns and we could see Steens off to the south and it still had a tremendous amount of snow on it. I am not sure how it manages to retain that much snow after everything else has melted off but it was impressive. While we did skip most of eastern Oregon this trip, we did manage to spend the night at Strawberry Lake. That is a pretty amazing spot too.
Posted Jul 30, 2011 3:53 pm

calebEOCRe: Still snowy

calebEOC

Did you pass by Malheur Lake? I imagine it must be pretty full if Steens is still melting off. The sawtooths are a nice alternative!
Posted Jul 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Bubba SuessRe: Still snowy

Bubba Suess

We did not go by the lake. We were trying to make Shasta from the Sawooths in one day, so we did not stop anywhere on the way back. It turned out to be an easy trip: 10.5 hours of driving time. It takes us that long to reach our family's cabin at Courtright in the Sierra. We did go by Abert and Goose Lakes and they were both full. The Abert Rim is pretty awesome too!
Posted Jul 30, 2011 4:12 pm