Stevens Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 12, 2021 10:51 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2021

Bushwhacky  Sucess!

Lost the trail on the way to the Upper lake and just bushwhacked up to the ridge. Path most of the way on the ridge. Nice views. My Garmin watch switched to Mountain Time on the summit and I was wondering why it took me so long to summit. Then I realized what happened. Suddenly, I gained back an hour off the summit. Oh, these state line border peaks.

rennerkj

rennerkj - Aug 17, 2020 1:15 pm Date Climbed: Jul 14, 2020

Fun day  Sucess!

Climbed up the East ridge from the upper lake!

ekinsja

ekinsja - Oct 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Stevens Peak

Amazing!

K Gmeiner - Apr 19, 2015 9:38 pm Date Climbed: Apr 19, 2015

Via Stevens Lake  Sucess!

With Steve Reynolds as a part of the Spokane Mountaineers Mountain School. Great experience with perfect conditions!

droot

droot - Sep 24, 2014 6:48 pm Date Climbed: Sep 20, 2014

Nice autumn views  Sucess!

Hiked up the Stevens Lakes trail, caught cutthroat in both the lakes, then bushwhacked up to the ridge. Once on the ridge there is a faint climbers trail for most of the way. Nice views from the top, leaves and shrubbery were changing colors so everything was orange and red.

Descended straight down the ridge to Lone lake, what a scramble!
Caught a few fish in Lone lake before it started getting dark, and then went down the trail to the trailhead.

Jakester

Jakester - Feb 23, 2009 1:21 pm Date Climbed: Feb 21, 2009

Via North Ridge  Sucess!

Awesome winter ascent in perfect weather.

idcanuck

idcanuck - Jul 15, 2008 1:59 pm Date Climbed: Jul 14, 2007

Northeast Ridge From Lake  Sucess!

Camped at Stevens Lake and scrambled up the northeast face to a ridgeline with an obvious trail that made its way along the ridge to the top through the rocky outcroppings. Still was some snow on the north side of the peak where the sun rarely hits, runoff was feeding Upper and Lower Stevens lakes. Great views of the Lakes and Lone Lake to the West.

Jakester

Jakester - May 19, 2008 6:11 pm Date Climbed: May 17, 2008

Route Climbed: West Ridge via West Willow Peak  Sucess!

Lots of snow this year! Snowshoes pretty much the whole way (IN MAY!). Camped at the summit then descended the next morning via the north ridge to Lower Stevens Lake. We even rigged up a snow bollard to rappel with at one point.

spotly

spotly - Jun 25, 2007 12:19 am Date Climbed: Jun 2, 2007

North Ridge  Sucess!

With Brian F. and Max the Wonder Dog. Mostly hard packed snow but lots of bare rock too. Snow started just below the ridge crest.

Ridgerunner755

Ridgerunner755 - Feb 10, 2007 10:18 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2003

From Lone Lake  Sucess!

Myself and one of my co-workers hiked the trail to Lone Lake, where we fished for awhile. We then walked up the drainage above the lake and up the steep slope to the ridge top west of the peak. Went to the top, then down a steep draw directly toward Lone Lake. This was very steep, luckily neither of us kicked rocks on each other. This is a great north Idaho peak.

Moni

Moni - Apr 24, 2005 10:27 am

Route Climbed: North Ridge Date Climbed: 23 April 2005 and July 31, 2007

July 31, 2007: With Fred. We ascended the usual winter route via East Willow Creek and the north ridge. We descended via the ridge (with a road!) to the west, dropped into the Lone Lake Basin and then down Lone Lake trail and West Willow Creek. It makes for a nice long loop (6.5 hours car to car). However, Lone Lake basin should only be climbed during very late spring to early fall - it is no wonder that it has been the scene of avalanche deaths. The flowers were very abundant and beautiful, the huckleberry crop is virtually non-existent.

April 2005:With Fred. Fun first climbing outing of the season. Snow was mushy and the final cornice not very high. 6 hours car to car - much of the trail was melted out and helped speed things up. Great views.

Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Apr 24, 2005 8:38 am

Route Climbed: North Ridge Date Climbed: 9 May 1982, 16 May 1982, 28 March 2004, 23 April 2005 & 31 July 2007

31 July 2007 with Moni. We wanted to see what the area is like without snow. The ridge is Class 2 with a faint trail much of the way.

23 April 2005 with Moni Spicker. Very warm with mushy snow.

28 March 2004 with Martin Cash. It might have been spring - but we had full winter conditions. About 8 inches of new snow, windy, & cold.

16 May 1982 with Paul Bishop to climb the north face, but warm weather and avalanche conditions prevented us from doing it, so we went up the north ridge.

9 May 1982 with Jim Spearman.

Martin Cash

Martin Cash - Mar 29, 2004 10:40 am

Route Climbed: North Ridge Date Climbed: March 28, 2004  Sucess!

Fred Spicker, my girlfriend Mishell, and I hiked up to a high camp at Lower Stevens Lake on Saturday. As we were setting up camp, a snowstorm engulfed us, dropping several inches of new snow. Overnight temp was probably 20 degrees. Mishell's knee was hurting so Fred and I departed for the summit at about 6:00 AM on Sunday.



Conditions were good on the approach to the ridge with only moderate (up to knees) postholing. Once on the ridgeline, climbing was very enjoyable, with some minor rock formations to skirt around. We occaisionaly had a view of the upper ridge for about 30 seconds. The upper part of the ridge was nice and firm, with good easy climbing. We arrived at the cornice to find it was only about 6' at it's lowest point. After about 5 minutes of excavation with our adzes, we had a notch chopped through, and climbed up.



Unfortunately, we were completely engulfed in blowing snow, so there were no views. Camp to camp in about 3 hours.



The hike down to the car was nice, on a beautiful sunny day at lower elevations.

Sharon

Sharon - Dec 29, 2003 10:56 pm

Route Climbed: via east-facing slopes to the west (from Stevens Lake) Date Climbed: May 14, 1989  Sucess!

with Steve Reynolds, Brian Grove, & Craig Grossman



Done as part of the Spokane Mountaineer's Mountain School.

montanaboy

montanaboy - Dec 12, 2003 9:59 pm

Route Climbed: Centennial Divide Trail from Bullion Creek Rd. in Montana Date Climbed: July 4, 2003 & August 16, 2003  Sucess!

Travelled west on CDT, hit an access road, then picked up CDT again near backside of Stevens. CDT marked with ribbons. Left CDT on backside of Stevens and walked up grassy south slope to summit. 3 hours.



North ridge. Gained the north ridge from upper Stevens Lake. Picked up trail that went up, over, and around rocky spine and rock outcrops right up to the summit. 2 hrs. 30 min.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Stevens Peak' main page