Don NelsenNice job!

Don Nelsen

I took the long and winding road to this desolate spot last September and was most impressed with how big and wild the far SE corner of Oregon is. Thanks for your work to get this info out there.
Posted Mar 22, 2007 6:02 pm

DeanRe: Nice job!

No flat tires eh? Thanks Don for your comments. While it isn't much of a hike, it is still a heck of a ways from anything. I hope you got Blue mountain while you were there. : ) Just in case you are into prominence peaks. If not, Bolton will get you there like he did me.
Posted Mar 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Don NelsenNo flats -

Don Nelsen

Bob warned me about that ahead of time but the only problem I had was scratching up the sides of my SUV on the bushes encroaching on the road. The foot-deep dust on the road beyond the Stevenson BM "Motel" was interesting and I was glad to have 4WD when I got to the steep switchback section too. Quite the adventure!
Posted Mar 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Gangolf HaubI have to agree..

Gangolf Haub

.. nice skies on your photos. Ever thought of using a polarizer? Would have enhanced the sky even more...
Posted Mar 24, 2007 10:45 am

DeanRe: I have to agree..

Thanks Gangolf, and I do have a polarizer but I never seem to remember to take it with me when I go somewhere. A polarizer would've helped bring out that sky.
Posted Mar 26, 2007 9:46 pm

SwithichTo all comers.

I just would like to iterate the stated car troubles. This trip is heinous. My friend and I drove 130 miles (loop from and to Fields), on rocky, dirt roads, to get to the benchmark. My Xterra turned out to be up to the challenge, but I got an ulcer traveling there. Moral of the story? Make sure you are prepared for this trip. Both routes are tough on your car (we traveled up the alternate route, and down the main route) and yes it is miles from anywhere if something happens to you.

Great peak, great trip, but man, takes nerves of steel to drive it (my friend and I switched off).

Trip Itinerary (approx.)