West of Rosennock, there is a strong mountain ridge kind of encircling the highest summit of Nockberge. The very south-western part of this ridge is hosting a group of summits with Stileck, then lowering down to Noeringsattel, 1665 m, which is delimiting our ridge from Milstaetter Alpe. In the very south-western part of our ridge the following summits are worth mentioning: The first one, just north-east of Noeringsattel, is Rabenkofel, 2058 m. It consists of a series of humble ridge elevations. Towards the south-southeast it is sending a distinct side ridge, by which a good approach route also goes. Next to Rabenkofel, less than 1 km to the north-east, rises in the main ridge the nameles Point 2148 m. From it towards the north-northwest a strong side ridge deters to the summit of Stileck, 2179 m. Just before the main summit there is one more bump in the ridge. Stileck ridge is then descending far towards the north-northwest, ending finally at Eisentratten in the valley of Lieser. Getting back on point 2148 m in the main ridge, we can continue towards the north-east and after less than 1 km we'll reach the last summit in our small group, Langnock, 2109 m. That one sends a strong side ridge towards the south-east, while towards the north-east the main ridge descends steeply to the nearby notch 1991 m, on which the Stileck group ends. Grossleobeneck, 2196 m is already a mountain of its own.
In high valley-ends all around Stileck massif there are alpine meadows with many huts, which you may find opened in summer. Also mountain roads are reaching high, but they are closed for public traffic. The most touristically popular area is on the south-eastern side.
1. From Kaning by the valley of Globatschbach to Noeringsattel, 1665 m. Kaning is a nice village north of Radenthein, near Lake Millstatt. Driving into the valley, you deter left already below the village (on: 46.818426, 13.704407). A narrow asphalt road leads you by the valley of Kanning Bach, then you deter left into the valley of Globatschbach, following the inscriptions for 'Bergbau' and Lamprechthuette. The last settlement ('Bergbau') in the valley is the place where magnesite is mined. From there, till the pass you will see left of the road mining places, closed for public traffic. The road from mining area to the pass can be closed in some parts of season, but in summer it's usually opened. On Noeringsattel there's a big parking place. Near the pass towards the righ also the road toward Lamprechthuette deters.
2. From Eisentratten by the valley of Noeringbach. You leave the valley of Lieser and drive by the inhabited valley southwards. In winter or spring the tour skiing trailhead can be already at the last farms of Vordernoering, left above the valley, on some 1200 m. In summer, you can drive further - through Innernoering to the trailhead 1160 m, further to the parking place on 1180 m, or all the way up to Noeringsattel, 1665 m.
1. Stileck Group Round Tour
This one is the best advice. Due to the high trailhead it's still a half day walk up, all the time easy (T2). From Noeringsattel, 1665 m, you go by the road towards the east, towards Lamprechthuette. You can walk by the road till the Thomannbauerhuette, 1697 m, but it is better that already after you pass the Langanderlehuette, you start watching where to deter left and gain the S-SE ridge of Rabenkofel. The forrest is steep there, but passable almost everywhere. When on the ridge, you will see just east below it a broad path, almost cart-road, coming up there from the Thomannbauerhuette. But keep to the ridge till Rabenkofel. Then continue by the main ridge towards the NE, following the trail No. 193. Just before Point 2148 m it crosses the slopes left, gains the ridge of Stileck and in another 10 minutes brings you on its top. From Stileck return back on Point 2148 m and continue by the main ridge towards the NE on Langnock. From there you best descend by its SE side ridge, but only to its flat part on some 1870 m. There you deter sharp right and follow the marked path to Lamprechthuette. Then you only return by the road to the pass. Altogether the elevation to overcome is 680 m, for the whole round tour the average time is 4 h 15 min. (View this route on map, or download its GPX - the two options in header menu.)
Many variants of this tour are possible, especially if starting the ascent at Lamprechthuette. You can for example ascend from Thomannbauerhuette directly on Rabenkofel, you can descend from Langnock also further towards the NE on the notch 1991 m, and return from there via Lamprechtalm, or you can do the round tour in the opposite direction.
2. The North-Northwest Ridge
This is a popular and very nice ski tour (with some 1000 m of altitude difference), but also a nice, quite long walk-up. You can gain the ridge either from Vordernoering (at Hermannhuette, 1600 m), from Hansbauer (at Hansbauerhuette, 1688 m) or using the mountain roads along Gamschitzbach. As on a ski tour, also in summer it's best to keep the ridge as much as possible.
|The whole mountain group lies since 1987 within the Nationalpark Nockberge. Despite its name it is a Protected Area (Category V), so prohibitions of human activities there are not so strict.|
- Lamprechthuette, 1660 m. Reachable by mountain road from Noeringsattel. Claims to be the first Austrian wellness farm. Opened in summer season.
- Thomannbauerhuette, 1724 m. Reachable by mountain road from Noeringsattel.