Viewing: 1-20 of 25 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

OlympicMtnBoyUntitled Comment

OlympicMtnBoy

Looks like a nice straightforward ascent. Beautiful scenery too! Good page Klenke!
Posted Mar 23, 2005 4:59 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Thanks for the vote.

Yes, easy climb for the most part--especially in summer. Great views-to-effort ratio and a good climb for the mere hikers among us.

I expect there will be a few summitlog signings for it.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 5:03 pm

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Klenktastic!
Posted Mar 23, 2005 5:30 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Nice, can't believe this one wasn't already on the site. Good addition.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 5:38 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

I can't believe it's not butter.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 7:01 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

I'm glad it's not as it would make a difficult summit in warm conditions. But you could then take dinner rolls up in your pack and just wipe them against the ground for a tasty treat.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 11:52 am

EastKingUntitled Comment

EastKing

Good page. A couple of these peaks maybe in my plans for late summer if the forest fires don't get to them.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 6:48 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

You can combine a hike of Stillaguamish with Forgotten easily. Forest Fires are not "generally" a problem for this area (but you never know--esp. this year).

Other nearby SP peaks are Pilchuck (Class 2 trail to top), Dickerman (Class 2 trail to top), Pugh (trail to top; some Class 3), Del Campo (Class 3), Vesper (trail to top, Class 2 mostly), and Big Four (Class 4 and difficult).

Thanks for the vote.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 7:01 pm

EastKingUntitled Comment

EastKing

My goal, if I can find anyone, is to summit Mt. Baker via Easton Glacier. Have most of the equipment but no glacier climb experience. I also like to bag Vesper Pk. and Pilchuck as well when I am out there.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 8:42 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Baker is a good climb for an out-of-stater to do. The Easton is probably the easiest route. The altitude could get you being from the East Coast, but you'll probably be fine. Need to keep hydrated.

I would do Vesper and nix Pilchuck. Instead of Pilchuck, which is easy and no better than Vesper, do something somewhere else in the range. Vesper and Pilchuck are close to each other and so provide a lot of the same views.

Baring is a great view peak with enough interesting climbing to make it fun. Also Gunn Peak.

Other good choices: Hidden Lake Peaks (Class 2/3), Sahale Peak (Class 4+ at the top; need a short rope), Blue Lake Peak (Class 3), Black Peak (Class 3), something in the Stuart Range/Enchantments.

What you do and where you go largely depends on what gear you bring, your fitness/skill level, and how much time you've got.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 1:08 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Ya - nice.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 7:54 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Where's the bike at the top pic?
Posted Mar 23, 2005 8:19 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Do you mean I should take a photograph of my bike to the top of every peak I climb? Okay, just for you. But over time the photo might get bent, soiled, or soggy in my pants pockets.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 10:03 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

It'd be nice if people get to the top of a peak, open the register and there is a pic of you and your bike. It'd be, kind of a trademark. So, make a lot of copies and put one in every register you find. Yes, it would be the pic that was taken on top of Clark county's famous, Silver Star Peak. That just may be the best pic ever put up on SP.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 10:38 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Not a bad idea but totally not my style. I'll pass.

Somewhat humorous story:

When Martin and I climbed He Devil last August we opened the behemoth 20-lb rusted-metal register. Inside there were two books stuffed into it--two religious texts (owing, I guess to the name of the peak). For one they were in the way of the main objective: the register. At any rate, I was none too pleased at these invasive books. I don't climb mountains to be preached at by denominations. You might say the mountain itself is my cathedral (even if it does have a devilish name). There was another party up there at the moment. I voiced my disapproval of the religious books being in there (a Bible and a Book of Mormon, I believe) and one of the guys from the other party said he'd take them down the mountain. He joked he needed firestarter for his fire that evening. Although, he may not have been joking.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Lee StammUntitled Comment

Lee Stamm

Done with your usual excellence. This is a great scrambler's summit with excellent views, great flower meadows in summer, and colorful in the autumn as well. Thanks for adding it.
Posted Mar 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Good one, with or without bike :-) I'm wondering how I should pronounce Stillaguamish. Nice name, though.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 2:48 am

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Good page!
Posted Mar 24, 2005 5:07 am

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Great page - complete and well written. Great pics, too.

Any info on how much longer the MLH is going to be out of commission? Seems like its been out for quite a while.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 9:09 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

No timeline that I know of, so no use me mentioning one in the Getting There section. As soon as the road reopens I'll delete all references to the closure.
Posted Mar 24, 2005 12:42 pm