Stonewall Mountain (NV)

Stonewall Mountain (NV)

Page Type Page Type: Album

Rarely visited moutain

Located south of Tonopah Nevada and not far off of road US 93, this mountain is one of Nevada's top prominence peaks with over 2918' of prominence. The elevation of the peak is 8318'.  Located inside the Nellis Air Force base area west of area 51, this alone keeps many peakbaggers from going after this one.  However,  by  the we route utilized, there is nothing posted as far as no access to the peak itself. 

I visited this one in March of 2012 and this album contains some of the pictures I took.

External Links

Surprisingly, quite a few peakbaggers have been to the top. Check out this list found at peakbagger to get an idea of the activity.

Peakbagger.com has two very helpful gps tracks posted by Eric Kassan and Kay Komuro.  Eric's trip report also includes much of the information that I could have added but he has written a great report and covered the material well so I present this only as an album and not as a summit page.   I have placed a few waypoints below but please look at Eric's trip report for really good directions.

Waypoints

Nad 27 lat/long
Turned off highway here:
37.5063 117.1849
Turn right here:
37.5102 117.1804
Next waypoint to hit road that leads to canyon:
37.4977 117.1506 Elev 4790
Gate at mouth of canyon - no longer intact:
37.4818 117.0975 Elev 5665

Road is drivable in high clearance vehicle to:
37.4944 117.0795 Elev 6000

Kay Komuro indicates that they parked between two washouts and from the gps tracks both she and Eric posted, they appear to have been able to drive a bit further than I was able to. Park where you feel comfortable and begin your hike from that point.
Follow the road to an old ruin on the north side and from there the road becomes a trail and the trail drops into a wash that you follow to the 6750 foot level. A large rock with a cairn on top was present and at that point we exited the wash to the right where we found an old path that helped to lead us up to the saddle at 7202.
Again,  see Eric Kassan's excellent trip report for great directions from the highway to the trailhead and then on  to the summit.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.