Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 21, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter

Stranded! Mountain

Stranded Mountain (Poorman BM) sits to the west of I-15 just 1 mile South of where Highway 20 meets I-15. The peak is largely reddish brown rock and is a fun but tough scramble to attain from I-15. The mountain sits "stranded" essentially in the middle of nowhere between Beaver and Paragonah with no landmark anywhere near aside from the lonely Highway 20/I-15 intersection.

The author skewered his gas tank open just pass this intersection and coasted nearly a mile with the engine off before being stranded here for the night. He and his buddy, Jacob Hansen, put on backpacks and hiked up to the first ridge on the mountain to stay the night with the intention of bagging the peak in the morning since our slot canyon trip down south had been ruined by the filleted gas tank. We woke up with the Peak in full view in the morning and scrambled for 90 minutes to get to the top. The main summit was about 15-20 minutes past the false summit. We returned down the backside(SW)---much safer and quicker---packed up the tent and got back to the car in plenty of time for the trailer and rescue team.

There were several class IV sections, if not harder, and there were a few spots that were very dicey without ropes. Extremely fun climb though.

Getting There
Park 1 mile south of the I-15/Highway 20 intersection (7 miles North of Paragonah) and trek across fields to the base of the mountain. Technically, I would assume the farm land is private, but it is highly doubtful anyone would see a hiker or have a problem if they did.

Camping
There is great backcountry camping above the first foothills at the base of the actual mountain. Multiple cougar tracks were spotted in this area as well as lots of Eagle sightings.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Poorman BM (UT)Trip Reports