STS-066-124-035 on November...

STS-066-124-035 on November...

STS-066-124-035 on November 10, 1994 at 9:30:15 a.m.
billokc
on Jan 6, 2004 8:07 pm
Image ID: 37669

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Grant

Grant - Jan 6, 2004 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

excellent!!

You have been posting a bunch if stuff around Culebra. It's about time you made your way to it. It's an excellent image and the labeling is wonderful.

billokc

billokc - Jan 7, 2004 10:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent!!

Thanks. I wasn't deliberately avoiding Culebra, I just had so much stuff for the locations around it I wanted to get posted first. There is a photo of the adjacent area south of here on the Wheeler Peak page which was taken just seconds before this one.

The hard part of the labeling was studying the 7.5 quad maps and then picking out which peak was which in the photo. Having the snow cover helps and hinders at the same time, if that makes sense.

Grant

Grant - Jan 7, 2004 11:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent!!

If you have more on Culebra post it. The page is lacking in images, since it is dosen't see many summiteers. You seem to have an interest in this area as do I. I grew up in Pueblo and would go camping down there from time to time, but spent most of my time in the Greenhorn Mtn area.



I know what you mean when you say “studying the 7.5 quad maps and then picking out which peak was which in the photo”. I know this is a little west of the area you like but here is an image from the summit of Rio Grande Pyramid looking west at the Needle and the Grenadier Mountain Ranges. Trying to figure out the peaks in the area and trying to label all of them was difficult but I think I got them right. I’m sure I even missed a few. Most of these peaks are on the Storm King Mountain 7.5 Quad and this has to be best and most complicated map in all of Colorado. If you don’t have it you should check it out, the next time at the map store.



here

billokc - Jan 7, 2004 4:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: excellent!!

Wow!! That's some photo you have there, and yes, I'll bet that was a tough one to get labeled correctly. I'm not familiar with that area, so I'll take your word that they're noted correctly. Needless to say, I don't get to the mountains much these days; no time, too far, too busy. Even when I do get a chance to visit the higher elevations, I have to take things much slower than I did back in the late 70's. Gotten older, not nearly as "in shape" as I once was. I still like to hike and such, it seems my interests in the mountains leans more to photo-ing, geography, and topography of the area. My interest in this particular area dates back to the early 70's. I would like to get back on the trail though. Damn shame about the restricted access for most of the Range.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4