Super Slide

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.89920°N / 99.3312°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb - Sport
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.10a
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route was originally put up solo by Duane Raleigh about 20 years ago. It remained an unprotected solo route until the spring of 2001 when Duane gave permission to bolt it. Until then, it had rarely been repeated. It still retains some of the infamous Quartz style with only three bolts in 80 ft. Thanks Duane!

Approach

From the east end of the parking lot, follow the obvious trail toward the mountain. At the first set of boulders, head directly between the largest ones and begin climbing the boulders up towards "S Wall" which can be seen from the parking lot. At the base of "S Wall" go east about 50 yards, traversing the mountain until reaching the base of the climb. The routes can easily be seen from the parking lot.

Route Description

Follow the bolts directly up to a two-anchor chain using extreme edging and smearing. Don't try to lead this if the route is wet. :) Otherwise, keep your head together until reaching the first bolt.....about 15 feet up. Expect lots of rock rash if you slip. It's fun. Three bolts. 80 ft.


Super Slide: Route #2 (Click photo to enlarge)

Essential Gear

One rope, 3 draws. Bring slings and lockers if you want to top-rope this or the nearby routes. Please do not TR directly from the chains or anchors.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.