SW ridge of Kelly Mtn

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.48151°N / 114.45803°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: trail
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the trailhead at 7000', this route up the SW ridge of Kelly Mountain follows a good trail to the Kelly Gulch / Wolftone divide, then follows a less distinct trail up the ridge to the summit.

Getting There

From downtown Hailey, drive out Croy Canyon about 8 and a half miles to the Kelly Gulch turnoff located at 43.4503N, 114.4409W. Cruise north up Kelly Gulch for 3.3 miles (high clearance recommended) to the unmarked trailhead on your left located at 43.4852N, 114.4765W at an elevation of 7000 feet.

Route Description

From the trailhead, hike west, up a good trail for half a mile, gaining 600' of elevation, past several switchbacks to the crest of the ridge overlooking Wolftone Creek drainage. Here you want to leave the main trail and turn right, northeast, along the ridge towards Kelly Mountain. At first the path along the ridge is indistinct, but the going is easy and obvious along the ridge for half a mile with no significant changes in elevation. For the final push, follow game trails up the SW ridge for 3/4 of a mile, gaining the final 1200' to the summit. The higher you get, the more obvious the trail becomes. Straightforward hiking, a total of 1.8 miles and 1800' to the summit make it reasonable to top out in 1 hour from your high-clearance vehicle.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.