Table Mountain, San Gabriel Mountains

Table Mountain, San Gabriel Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 14, 2008

Table Mountain

Table Mountain



Table Mountain is in the San Gabriel Mountains and rises to 7516 feet overlooking the community of Wrightwood and the western Mojave Desert. Table Mountain use to be on the Hundred Peaks List but was delisted in 1960 for ski development that overtook the summit area.

I have for a long time wanted to visit this dead summit. I grew up in the Mount San Antonio (Mount Baldy) area and want to summit every and all named or prominent points that make up my home turf. Looking for something to do while my leg heals from a fresh tattoo I decided it was time to venture this way. There is nothing technical about Table Mountain, it is a virtual drive up, but it is maybe private property. Besides the issue of private property I wondered if the development took place on the actual summit containing the benchmark point.

Lucky for me the ski area was deserted with only melting snow to greet me. I hiked the short distance to the main many pointed summit area and started my search for the marker. Not one but two markers survive with nice views of Mount Baden-Powell and the Mojave Desert. While I walked the many summit points a pair of F-16s buzzed the mountain adding a nice element to the deserted scene. Hopefully in the coming weeks I can start hiking hard again, it has been a long nice winter in the desert but now I want return to the higher elevations of Southern California.

External Links

Hundred Peaks Section Homepage

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.