KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Thanks for tabling this peak for our viewing pleasure.
Posted May 11, 2004 12:28 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks for the vote. It''s an impressive peak.

Posted May 11, 2004 10:14 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice job on the page.
Posted May 11, 2004 1:23 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. I've wanted to go down there and create a page for the big SC peaks for a while. I want to add at least one more.

Posted May 11, 2004 10:14 am

wuedesauUntitled Comment

wuedesau

Beautiful page! DidnĀ“t know that there are real rocks in South Carolina.
Posted May 11, 2004 3:16 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

I'm hoping some rock climbers will post some routes here. There are some very difficult routes on the wall. I've been told one route generally takes two days. Don't know if this is true, but that's the scoop I got.

Posted May 11, 2004 9:58 am

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Nice Tableau. Keep on posting. All the photos are great and voted on accordingly.
Posted May 11, 2004 7:40 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks. I thought that Table Rock and Pinnacle Mountain needed pages here at Summitpost. Standing at the base of Table Rock and looking up at it is a nice experience.

Posted May 11, 2004 10:13 am

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Good basic info. Cheers William
Posted May 11, 2004 8:35 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Thanks.

Posted May 11, 2004 10:13 am

CharlesDUntitled Comment

CharlesD

Another good one. Perhaps even a reason to visit SC ;-)
Posted May 11, 2004 10:27 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

This is a very nice mountain,and the park that protects it is high quality. I know that there are some really nice climbing routes on the mountain. I was told one route should be done over two days! I'm not a climber, so I don't know what to make of that, but it's what I was told.

Posted May 11, 2004 11:11 am

RachelUntitled Comment

Rachel

This is my kind of place! Thanks for sharing, and I will have to be sure to visit some time. Cheers, Rachel
Posted May 11, 2004 10:39 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

It's a nice peak. I've been meaning to climb it for years so I bagged it yesterday. Only a bit over two hour drive from my home, so I have no excuse for not climbing it before. The view from the base of the mountain looking up is spectacular. Almost better than the views from the top.

Posted May 11, 2004 11:07 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Excellent!...Thanks for this page and your great contributions to the Southeast U.S.!

By the way, here are the exact coordinates if you want to use them.

lat=35.0505555555556

lon=-82.7036111111111

(Got it from Americas roof, cause I wasn't sure Table Rock was so far from Sassafras)

One question......how long a trail is the foothills trail? Does it go for miles, all the way to the top of Sassafras? Thanks Bob.
Posted May 11, 2004 11:21 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

According to the map I got at the State Park, the Foothills Trail leads 9.4 miles from Sassafras Mountain to Pinnacle Mountain. Don't know if the trail is longer than that, though. It is the only way to camp in the back country along that ridge. Everything to the west of the ridgeline is City of Greenville watershed and they have it posted against any kind of trespass, including camping and hiking. Looks like real wilderness, too, and must be full of wildlife.

Glad you like the page. I want to add a some more SC peaks and will do so in the coming weeks, as I'm able.

Posted May 11, 2004 11:48 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Apparently, the Foothills Trail is about 100 miles--a bit less. Can't find exact length. It runs mainly in SC, but also into NC. There's a website for it, but it's not very well put together, unfortunately. At: http://www.foothillstrail.org/

There's a couple who have a nice page about hiking in general, and the Foothills Trail in particuluar here:

According to them, the trail is about 96 miles in lenght and connects Oconee State Park to Caesar's Head State Park.

Posted May 13, 2004 6:04 am