Taken while camping in the...

Taken while camping in the...

Taken while camping in the Boulderfield, on my first trip up Long's Peak. We had a perfect night, hardly a cloud, and a full moon. Long after my climbing partners went to bed, I stayed up to shoot some star trail images. I was tired the next day for our summit hike, but it was well worth it I think. Approx. a 20 minute exposure if I remember right. The red, dotted line going from top to bottom is an airplane, and the whitish streak just right of center are thin clouds moving through.
Brent D
on Oct 14, 2003 12:57 am
Image ID: 30691

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Velebit

Velebit - Oct 14, 2003 5:02 am - Voted 10/10

Great star trails

Great shot Brent! This is one of the few things I miss at compact digital cameras, bulb exposure (other would be 2 or more shots over same frame). I love to take long exposure shots and I used to with my Canon 50E but could not resist other advantages that digital photography gives me. Digital SLRs are still expensive to me but quite soon they won’t be.

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Jun 4, 2004 3:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Star shot

Very nice shot! I have added it to the Long's Peak page Miscellaneous section .

Brent D

Brent D - Jun 13, 2004 8:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Star shot

Thanks kilimanjaro1, I appreciate the compliment.

kilimanjaro1

kilimanjaro1 - Jun 14, 2004 2:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Star shot

How did you get the backlighting effect on the mountain range and the lighting on the mountain face on the right of the picture? Was that the moon about to rise giving that light or some fancy trick you arent willing to divulge? Thanks!

Brent D

Brent D - Jul 9, 2004 11:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Star shot

Hey kilimanjaro1, sorry I didn't see you question for a while!



You nailed it. It's the moon on the rise just below the horizon line in the middle of the shot. Didn't really know what to expect when I shot it, but very happy with the results!

jhansen007

jhansen007 - Aug 25, 2004 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Cool

Oh how I hate the airplanes. Being near DIA is real pain sometimes. I swear, no matter how many star pictures I take at night, planes find their way into at least half of them.

Brent D

Brent D - Aug 25, 2004 11:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

You are not kidding!!! Very frustrating sometimes. Still, I really need to get out and shoot some more of these things. Thanks!

Gareth

Gareth - Apr 12, 2005 12:12 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Cool

When it comes to star-trail pictures what can I say but: Dang airplanes!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8