Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The highest mountain between the Mount Naomi Wilderness and Bear Lake is Temple Peak. Temple Peak has 1,216 feet of prominence but the lower elevation doesn't quite break tree line. Still, there are some views and the challenge of getting to the summit is fun. There are two signed roads off the Hardwire Ranch Road. A determined effort could get a vehicle to the summit but it best be a rock crawler Jeep to avoid any damage.  

Temple Peak
Temple Peak
Temple Peak
Temple Peak
Temple Peak signTemple Peak Signs

Getting There

As the map and legend below it show, there is a north and south road to the summit. Both are signed from the Hardwire Ranch Road. I did the south which I'm guessing is much harder. It's 4WD for sure. It's a shorter distance if you decide to walk. One could drive to Elk Spring then park. Once you reach the saddle marked (A), look for a faint ATV trail dropping down on the ridge. I looked at the road on the north side but it was well below the ridge continuing on. Yet, it seems to join up further up the ridge at point (B). If the road is drivable between points (A) and (B) it might be possible to even drive up to the top...although nobody has done it in a while...just ATV's. The best access to the Temple Peak roads that any vehicle can drive is from the north at Bear Lake Summit on highway 89.

Temple Peak area overviewTemple Peak Overview Map
Temple Peak MapTemple Peak Map

A. Where the road turns more into a ATV trail (easy to miss) B. Where a ATV/4WD trail comes in C. Where I parked D. Steep section of 4WD road E. Big tree blocking road in 2010

Red Tape

None

Pictures

Summit in distance
Summit in view
Summit meadow from top
From summit looking at trail up
Bear Lake
Bear Lake View
Looking East
Looking East
Summit, no view that direction
Summit: No views that way

External Links