Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 23, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heanding Here

Include text here.
Left Gunnison at 5:30am, drove to the trail head via the West Bush Creek Road, arrived at 6:45am. For sure one needs a 4x4 wheel drive vehicle to reach the trail head and the vehicle may receive a few minor scratches. Rentals are an option available in Gunnison.
Being Flat Landers we set off slowly (very slowly). The sun was just rising into the valley. We climbed through the Old Growth forest, (a place with the potential of mysterious happenings). Reaching the intersection with the Teocalli Ridge Trail, we turned left and started to climb up and up towards the crown of rocks. Once we hit the rocks there was no trail, but we luckily spotted a series of cairns and followed them. We summited in just under 4 hours, slow but for Flat Landers acceptable (also we didn't have any other plans for the day). The view off the summit is tremendous, 244 peaks are visible, visibility was around 65 to 70 miles . We lunched there and were astounded to have 3G reception on the summit.
On the descent we discovered the place that we had quit on our first attempt to summit in 2003. We were only about 200 ft(vertical) from the summit.
We had an uneventful descent and were happy to reach the Trail Head still in good spirits.

It was well worth the effort. I think that the hike to the crown of rocks is a "1", but from there to the summit I would grade the climb closer to a "2". 

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Teocalli MountainTrip Reports