Viewing: 1-8 of 8
McCannster

McCannster - Jan 8, 2011 10:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Could use pics

You have a lot of good info, but the page would definitely be more complete with more photos. Otherwise, nice job.

bcoones

bcoones - Jan 9, 2011 12:17 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks. I am not done with the page yet it is still a work in progress. I will be adding more pics and I am trying to make it look cool but I am unfamiliar with using code. I will be adding pictures too.

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Jan 9, 2011 2:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice idea...

... to show us the mountains and rocks in this part of the world. I was just wondering whether there is a chance that you could split up the page into distinct "mountain ranges" and not just have a page about a whole country. I understand that there may not be a lot of ranges in that country but maybe you could use the names of the ranges as your page title.

Also, a good idea if you are not finished working on a site is to add "Under construction" or something like that to the title, so that others know there will be more. Many pages start as a skeleton and don't go anywhere. These pages will eventually be deleted. So if you are working on it, please make it clear to everybody. Thanks.

bcoones

bcoones - Jan 9, 2011 2:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice idea...

Thanks for the tips I appreciate it. The UAE is very small though and there is only really one mountain range that goes through it and that is the Hajar Mountains. I plan to break down the separate areas under the UAE page such as I have started to do with the Roadside Crag.

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Jan 9, 2011 7:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice idea...

I understand. Is it feasible to name that page "Hajar Mountains" then?

bcoones

bcoones - Jan 10, 2011 4:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice idea...

I think it is sort of difficult to come up with another name. There are border disputes between UAE and Oman and their is climbing on both side. The disputes are no violent more of just arguments and debates. Oman is actually split. What they call true Oman is much ane them Musandam is split by the UAE then there are also like spot with in the UAE that are considered Oman. I dont think we can call the page Oman because I have not been to true Oman and there is a lot of climbing there. So that would be an entire different page. Most people have never heard of the Hajar Mountain either. I put it as the UAE because those that might travel here tend to look up UAE climbing. I typed UAE climbing into Google and that is how I found out about it prior to me coming here.

I will consider and ponder over other names though. Thank you for your insight, if you have any other tips please let me know as they will be greatly appreciated.

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Jan 10, 2011 9:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice idea...

Looks much better now. You put quite some work in it. Please consider using a mountain range (if possible) as the title of the area as this is "standard" at SP. You can always use UAE as the query name. Cheers.

T. White

T. White - Jan 6, 2018 4:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent page

What a great starting resource and realistic assessment of the Hajjars, Mr. Coones! The institutional knowledge here is not easily acquired...

I visited these mountains last year in both the UAE and Musandam, and was very intrigued by all those towering walls and ridges off the beaten track. The environment in general was quite a culture shock, though -- you are right to emphasize those matters in this page.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'The Hajar Mountains of the United Arab Emirates and NW Oman' main page